Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 383 w/600 cfm eddy, rpm airgap, and vortec heads. It currently has a stock fuel pump from the local auto parts store, and 5/16" fuel line from the tank to the pump. I'm obviously not getting enough fuel or pressure since it cuts out at high rpms. What would be a good setup for my application? 3/8" or 1/2" line? What is a good cost efficient fuel pump that would be adequate? Do I need a fuel pressure regulator? I use this car for street/strip and am soon installing a posi units w/3.73 gears. Thanks

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I would look at the carb size first before I start looking at the fuel pump and line. 600cfm sounds a little small for a 383. Never the less I ran 3/8" aluminum from my tank, use a Holley Blue Electric pump and set the regulator at 7psi mounted on the passenger side inner fender and a 750 DP. Both Summit and Jegs have complete kits that include pump, filter, line and regulator for a couple hundred bucks. Might want to check them out

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I will definitely be checking out those kits. I agree, I will be getting a bigger carb in the near future. I had a 327 in the car before, thats why. I have another question, if im getting different fuel line, will i be needing a sending unit with bigger line? and did you mount your electric pump by the gas tank?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the replys. i had one more question... What are the pros/cons of using a system w/ a return line as opposed to just one line? and are you sure I don't need a sending unit w/ 3/8" line? I thought mine had the 5/16" line..

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Sending units for the 5/16 line are different than the ones for a 3/8 line. If you upgrade tot he 3/8 line you will need the new sending unit as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for clearing that up about the sending units. i was getting confused:confused: now should i get a sending unit with a return line? or just the one line?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
thanks for clearing that up about the sending units. i was getting confused:confused: now should i get a sending unit with a return line? or just the one line?
I would get the one with a return. That way if you use a return style system you're covered. If you don't use it, it's easy enough to cap off.:yes:

Also, if you are planning on using an electric fuel pump, using a return style regulator and return line will make the pump run quieter, cooler and last longer. Also, the fuel pressure will be much more stable.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I would get the one with a return. That way if you use a return style system you're covered. If you don't use it, it's easy enough to cap off.:yes:

Also, if you are planning on using an electric fuel pump, using a return style regulator and return line will make the pump run quieter, cooler and last longer. Also, the fuel pressure will be much more stable.
YES!!! Let the fuel regulator do the regulating job and send the excess back to the tank. A dead head system for an electric pump is a short lived pump, they are cooled by the flow of fuel, the more flow the better.

So its pumping at max volume with a return line regulator, (actually less current draw than a dead head system, not building unwanted pressure) and the extra flow of cooling fuel will make it live a lot longer. JMO really.. JR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts