Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The UPS man dropped of my parts I ordered from Ground Up today. I bought an imported 18 gal fuel tank and a fuel tank sending unit. I just opened them up to look and check them out. I have a few questions how does the sending unit attach to the tank? There are no bolt holes in either the tank or sending unit? Also is there supposed to be a gasket between the tank and sending unit. There was not one in the box. No instructions either. I guess I will find out a little more when I drop my old tank and see how the sending unit is held in place. Just trying to get a heads up. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
The UPS man dropped of my parts I ordered from Ground Up today. I bought an imported 18 gal fuel tank and a fuel tank sending unit. I just opened them up to look and check them out. I have a few questions how does the sending unit attach to the tank? There are no bolt holes in either the tank or sending unit? Also is there supposed to be a gasket between the tank and sending unit. There was not one in the box. No instructions either. I guess I will find out a little more when I drop my old tank and see how the sending unit is held in place. Just trying to get a heads up. Thanks guys.
Hopefully it was imported from Canada ;). The sending unit is held in place with a lock ring...re-use the ring from your old tank. To remove it just grab a flat punch and knock it ( rotate ) 'loose'...assy is reverse of removal. It would have been nice of them to send you a new o-ring type of seal which goes between the tank and sending unit...but you can probably re-use your old one..just inspect if for any damage of any kind..if its good...so are you.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, I appreciate the info. I'm un-sure where the tank was made. It looks good nice and shiny. Hopefully it will last a long time. I'm still running my original tank and sending unit. When I fill it all the way up it drips when I park it until it gets down to 3/4 of a tank. I think it has small pinholes around the top.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
You may consider reusing your entire original sending unit assembly, especially if it is working fine and your gauge is accurate. Just something to think about. A lot of this aftermarket stuff can not compare to original. Maybe at least change that filter sock thing and just give it a clean up.

When I bought my tank, I also got new straps and hardware. There is also an "anti-squeak" gasket kit available. They are gasket strips that go between the tank and straps. Maybe your originals are good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts