Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have an idea of where to locate a fuel sending unit for a 74 Nova, I've checked all the aftermarket and was unsuccessful. I cant be the only one out there with a bad sending unit, or can I? any ideas on how to locate one would be greatly appreciated. thanks! Deano

·
6,502 Posts
Are you sure you have a bad sending unit ?.

Like a lot of things the sending unit is made up of a couple of parts and also works in conjunction with yet other things. If you haven't done some basic tests to see if the sending unit itself is bad you may be creating more work and produce a quicker thinning of your wallet with the problem not being corrected.

If you haven't done some tests to verify it is the sending unit, I would do so.

If the sending unit itself is bad it might only be a connection or simple problem with the sending unit assembly. The wiper arm inside the sender may have a bad connection or there may be a bad connection between the flat ribbon cable and the through connector on the top of the sending unit assembly. I've fixed some through the years but some are not repairable.

Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, hooked up a good sending unit using the wiring from the bad unit, gauge moved when i had the key on and i raised and lowered the float assembly. to me this rules out the gauge and assures its something with the sending unit. the problem is no one has a reproduction or aftermarket unit, as far as i can tell. thanks for the input.

·
6,502 Posts
hooked up a good sending unit using the wiring from the bad unit, gauge moved when I had the key on and I raised and lowered the float assembly. to me this rules out the gauge and assures its something with the sending unit.
When you say you used the wiring from the bad unit, did you also transfer over the ground off of the old unit or did you ground the good sending unit with another wire off of the sending units housing to a ground on the car ?.

The only reason I'm asking is I'm pretty sure the ground wire off of the factory unit is crimped on to the sending unit housing with a length of black 16-18 gauge wire that ends with a ring terminal that's bolted to the car body back by the inner rear tail panel support by the filler neck. It's possible that if you just grabbed the sending unit wire in the trunk or unplugged it off of the original sender and then used your own different ground this "may" be your problem. The factory never soldered and connections and I've seen this crimp connection be poor (which means a higher than normal resistance) and also poor crimped connection on the ring terminal end that goes to the body of the car.

You might very well have a bad sender but I would hate to see it be something simple.

Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input guys, I will make some phone calls today- let you know if any of these companies are able to help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts