Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story is I bought a new 20gal fuel cell (triangle engineering) in 1997 and it sat dry for a few years till about 2003 .

The sender never worked as far as I know. I used fuel in the tank for the run in of the cam in 2003 and the same fuel sat in the tank till around 2010. I didnt have the sender hooked up to the gauge the entire time thats why I dont know if it ever worked.

When I did wire the sender up it didnt work. I wasn't surprised.

Fast forward to today and I removed the sender. Its a tube style sender. Meaning the float is housed vertically in a tube.

I disassembled the sender and the float was dry and crispy. But I dont think the float failed. I think it just got hung up on a sharp section on the inside of the tube.

Im buying a new sender from ISSPRO who was the original maker of the first sender. Should be coming in a week or so and Ill be back on the road.

One thing I dont like about the sender is the mounting method. They use screws that go through the top flange and you have to hold the nuts from inside the tank to tighten the screws. ERR!! Reaching in through the filler hole to grab ahold of the small nylock nuts and thread them on the screws is NOT fun..

So I pulled out some 1/8" stainless sheet and cut a 2.5" round out and a 1-1/8" hole in the center. So now I have a ring. I marked it for the sender bolt pattern and drilled holes for the SS screws. Bolted the new ring up to the old plastic flange to keep the screws straight and TIG welded the screws to the SS ring.

So now I will put the new flange I made into the tank and slide it up over the senders tube, through the tank wall and into the outside plastic flange of the new sender thats coming. I will be able to thread the nuts on from the outside now instead of blindly fiddling around with five small nuts from inside the tank.

And if I ever need to service the sender (Knocking on wood that I WONT at a 100 bucks a pop, damm inflation) I wont have to go inside the tank at all. Which is good cause its not a simple bail type filler cap. I made up a filler neck for the cell so I can fuel up outside the car.

The ring with the welded screws wont drop when the nuts are removed because the tank is STUFFED with foam, all the way to the top. So the foam will keep the ring from dropping.

Oh, thats one more thing. I expected to see some rotten or deteriorated foam baffling when I opened the tank up. To my surprise the foam is like brand new. Dont know what its made of but it can hold up to years of use.

So anywho.. Thats what Ive been doing. Been a lone time coming. I have already run out of gas on the street twice due to the inoperable fuel sender. Will be nice to watch the gauge drop like a rock now :( The gas mileage should be better.

Oh, and Im not even bitching about the sender or any of the work Im having to do. IMO its just part and parcel when you have a project car. I actually DO love to work on the car. And I really cant bitch. I can do all the work from my trunk VS having to drop a fuel tank. I just wanted to share some of the goings on here at my place. Cheers, JR

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
JR too bad the tank manufacturer could not have come up with a better mount design than loose nuts on the underside of the sending unit. Your design will make future sender service more user friendly....I love your last paragraph about things like this being part and parcel when you have a project car. So many of my friends and frienemies call me with issues like this and they are ready to just sell the car and get out. Brother, this is what happens when you build a car with aftermarket parts. Sometimes components just fail. I like your attitude....

Frank

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So many of my friends and frienemies call me with issues like this and they are ready to just sell the car and get out. Brother, this is what happens when you build a car with aftermarket parts. Sometimes components just fail. I like your attitude....

Frank
Yeah Frank, I know what you mean. I have a good friend that has a Camaro and it was pretty much good to go when he bought it. But does need some attention here and there and every time he needs to have some work done he is ready to sell it. I get his frustration too. He isnt into working on his car as much as I am so its a money pit in his eyes.

But after having replaced just about everything with new parts on my car over the last many years (17) I dont run into too many issues anymore. And even though EVERYTHING is "brand new" (mileage not years) I still run into things that just deteriorate. Part of owning a car Im thinking.

Even a new car off the lot will deteriorate somewhat over 17 years, use or no use.

Oh, and the sender mounting issue. That was a common method with many aluminum fuel cells back in the mid 90s. They all use the tube type sender and all had the screws going in through the top.

Guess someone got smart and decided to mount the screws up from the bottom and the nuts on top. But I still see some with the screws on top. Not a problem really, as long as yer sender float doesnt hang LOL JR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts