Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where to post this so if it's in the wrong section feel free to move it.

I'm putting my Nova in the shop Monday and I have a full tank of gas. Well, I kind of want to get the fuel out of the tank before I get the paint work done because I don't really want anything to happen plus it will make the car lighter due to the weight of the fluid. Does anyone have any idea on how I can get the fuel out of the car? I have a large container that I could put the fuel and and pump into my dd. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm not sure where to post this so if it's in the wrong section feel free to move it.

I'm putting my Nova in the shop Monday and I have a full tank of gas. Well, I kind of want to get the fuel out of the tank before I get the paint work done because I don't really want anything to happen plus it will make the car lighter due to the weight of the fluid. Does anyone have any idea on how I can get the fuel out of the car? I have a large container that I could put the fuel and and pump into my dd. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.
Short of removing the tank entirely, you're actually safer with a full tank of gas than an empty tank with fumes. Empty tanks are the ones that explode, not full tanks.

If you don't have a drain plug, you can try a pump siphon down the filler neck to get the majority out. Or try what TomM said. If you have a mechanical pump up front, disconnect the hose and rig the pump siphon to that.

FWIW, A gallon of gas weighs about 6 pounds.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You can put a blow attachment on your air compressor an put a siphon hose from your tank into your container then pressurize your fuel tank by blowing air into it the fuel will run into your container through the hose, it's the best way to siphon gas out ,,,, don't swallow none or even get it close to your mouth

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll look into one of the pumps because I don't want to use my mouth and the motor is out so I can't use the pump.

·
Registered
309 Posts
by pressurizing the tank with air you don't get any in your mouth, you don't even put your mouth on the hose, damn that,, can't stand the taste of gas

·
Registered
566 Posts
You can disconnect the rubber line at the gas tank, or the fuel pump. Take a length of fuel line, and run it into your gas can. ( please use an appropriate container ). Now, take a piece of radiator hose, remove the gas cap, and place the hose snugly on the end of the fuel neck. Blow into the end of the radiator hose, and pressurize the gas tank. ( it doesn't take much ). Just blow into the tank through the radiator hose, until fuel starts flowing out the line into your can. The siphon will continue on its own, just check it every so often to make sure your can doesn't run over.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can disconnect the rubber line at the gas tank, or the fuel pump. Take a length of fuel line, and run it into your gas can. ( please use an appropriate container ). Now, take a piece of radiator hose, remove the gas cap, and place the hose snugly on the end of the fuel neck. Blow into the end of the radiator hose, and pressurize the gas tank. ( it doesn't take much ). Just blow into the tank through the radiator hose, until fuel starts flowing out the line into your can. The siphon will continue on its own, just check it every so often to make sure your can doesn't run over.
Nice, I think that's what I'll do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts