Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hear a lot of people say to run two fuel pumps with their nitrous systems so i was wondering if anyone if running a single mechanical pump and which one?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
what they mean by running 2 fuel pumps is one is for you car and the other is for when you want to spray it. so lets say you have a mechanical pump that flows 60 gph ( gallons per hour ) and is preset at 7 p.s.i. ( no regulater ) then you add a nitrous kit well that much fuel flow isnt going to cut it you need more because your going to add more power to your car with the flick of a switch so you decide to add an extra fuel pump for the nitrous only ( holley " blue pump " and mount the regulater by the carb now you have 170 gph between both pumps and its pressure regulated at the carb at 7.5 p.s.i so now your ready for some serious power. you could get one fuel pump for your motor with the nitrous running remember if you have a 400 hp motor and decide to spray it with a 200 shot of nitrous your fuel system needs to support both you motor and the nitrous while is activated ( 400 hp + 200 n2o shot = 600hp )

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I ran an edelbrock 6 valve 13-14 psi mech pump on the street for 12 years. I have cheater plate system and usually spray a 100 shot. I set the reg to 6 psi and have no fuel delivery problems. 1 mech pump for the motor and spray. Very simple and pretty bullet proof. The only issues I have had is my aeromotive regulator sometimes creeps up in traffic and I have to pull over until the pressure drops. Had it rebuilt and it still does it. Time for a bypass reg. BTW the car ran 10.70 with this setup.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I do a lot of things to save money to go fast, but I wouldn't run a mechanical pump with any amount of nitrous.
I used to run a separate system for each, but after seeing a Pro Mod with 3 systems running a single BG400 pump, I figured it was more than enough for my little 200 shot.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I do a lot of things to save money to go fast, but I wouldn't run a mechanical pump with any amount of nitrous.
I used to run a separate system for each, but after seeing a Pro Mod with 3 systems running a single BG400 pump, I figured it was more than enough for my little 200 shot.
i agree with him :yes: its actually a lot less hassle to run a single fuel pump for the entire package 1 pump for the hole shabang :yes:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Why do you have no faith in mech pumps? I have seen more electric pumps fail on the street than mech pumps. If there is enough flow then there is no problem

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Why do you have no faith in mech pumps?
I know a guy that used to run a LOT of nitrous on junk engines--they blew regularly when trying to use a mechanical pump. After switching to a good electric, he stopped having problems related to lack of fuel.
I ran a mechanical back when my car ran 11's, and never had issues. When BG set me up with 2 of their pumps(400 & 220)and a Nitrous Works setup, I had separate systems for each. I loaned my 220 to a friend and.....well, that's another story. My BG400 has been on the car since late 98, and I changed a seal on it once. Been across the country with it, and never been let down yet. The seal was changed because it was seeping a little fuel in my trunk.

·
Registered
508 Posts
a BG 400 is def the way to go. but keep in mind to have a properly tuned set up you need to still run two regs. the eng. F/P should never be below 7 psi flowing and a good tuned N2O kit shouldnt be over 6- 6 1/4 psi flowing (max). you can run a small motor w/a small kit and live (sometimes) on one small pump but not recomended. two seperate systems or one big system is the only safe way to go. we have ran a 580 ci bbc with a 500 hp fogger of of one BG 400 pump.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
F/P should never be below 7 psi flowing and a good tuned N2O kit shouldnt be over 6- 6 1/4 psi flowing (max).
That's a pretty broad statement; there are different fuel pressures used depending on whose system you're running, and you can do a lot of tuning with just pressure adjustments. Ever seen some of the guys that run 30-40 psi on the fuel side of their nitrous systems? Some swear by it, but you're on your own as fas as jetting maps go.
My Nitrous Works system is supposed to be set at 5 psi, I usually keep it at 5 1/2-5 3/4psi; some of their others call for 6-8, while another says 7-9.

·
Registered
508 Posts
that's a pretty broad statement; there are different fuel pressures used depending on whose system you're running, and you can do a lot of tuning with just pressure adjustments. Ever seen some of the guys that run 30-40 psi on the fuel side of their nitrous systems? Some swear by it, but you're on your own as fas as jetting maps go.
My nitrous works system is supposed to be set at 5 psi, i usually keep it at 5 1/2-5 3/4psi; some of their others call for 6-8, while another says 7-9.
30 -40 psi on the f/p is on a efi motor. Ive never hears of any n2o tune with a carb that has that high of f/p. And as far as plate systems go even the nx high pressure system rund beter at 6.5-7 psi max. I have run alot of differant stuff and my statement was based on what not only myself but several other racers have concluded from testing,testing,and more testing. But you are right about alot of tununing from f/p. Its probably the most important part of the n2o system imo.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So who makes the best nitrous kit or what do you prefer to run ?...not trying to highjack the thread ....but i might try nitrous in the future and wanted you opinions

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I know a guy that used to run a LOT of nitrous on junk engines--they blew regularly when trying to use a mechanical pump. After switching to a good electric, he stopped having problems related to lack of fuel.
I ran a mechanical back when my car ran 11's, and never had issues. When BG set me up with 2 of their pumps(400 & 220)and a Nitrous Works setup, I had separate systems for each. I loaned my 220 to a friend and.....well, that's another story. My BG400 has been on the car since late 98, and I changed a seal on it once. Been across the country with it, and never been let down yet. The seal was changed because it was seeping a little fuel in my trunk.
Sounds like he didn't have enough flow, I don't think a nitrous kit cares where it gets its fuel from weather its a mechanical or electrical pump as long as flow is there at the right pressure...

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Why do you have no faith in mech pumps?
Mechanical pumps by nature have a pulsating flow. Nitrous flow is rock solid steady. See the possible problem?:D

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
That is why I use a 6 valve pump:D
It could have a hundred valves......it's still a single diaphragm running on ONE lobe.. The more valves just equates to more possible flow. :poke::stir:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
So who makes the best nitrous kit or what do you prefer to run ?...not trying to highjack the thread ....but i might try nitrous in the future and wanted you opinions
ive heard real good comments on the edelbrock nitrous kits but im sure there all decent its all taste i guess :yes:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
A regulator has a way of smoothing out the pulses...

I haven't had any issues and that is on a hyperutectic piston motor, so I guess I have my tune pretty dialed in.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
A regulator has a way of smoothing out the pulses...

I haven't had any issues and that is on a hyperutectic piston motor, so I guess I have my tune pretty dialed in.
Or a little on the SAFE side.:D Still leaving some on the table?
I'd bet not much of a hit either.:no:
:stir::poke:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts