Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: I'm looking for an electric fuel pump for my stock gas tank in my 67. I presently have a Holley red top, but it isn't designed to "suck" the gas out of the tank and it is very noisy. I read that a Mallory pump will draw from the tank, but I don't know how loud it is and it's pretty pricey. Anyone have any thoughts??? By the way, this is for a carb, not fuel injection.
John

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
Every pump has to be able to draw fuel from the suction side, including the Holley. The shorter you make the suction leg the better it works, which means putting the pump back by the tank. We use the Mallory 140 pump and it's nice and quiet.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If it is not a high performance application, check out NAPA.
Their generic pump works great.

·
6,560 Posts
I've run a Holley and have a Mallory on my 74 for over 10 years and have never had a problem with it being back by the tank and up high level with the top of the tank. Having it close to the tank with the shortest pickup tube going to it probably helps also.
I just went out today and started it as it's been sitting since last April and I hit the fuel pump switch, listened to it for a while until the tone changed meaning the floats had shut and started the car right up. I normally shut off the pump on my car and run what I can out of the carb since it sits a lot so if the carb messes up what is in the float bowls will not drain out into the motor.
I have mine mounted on rubber bushings and while the interior on my car has a lot of sound deadener in it I have a hard time hearing it. Once the motor is running I cannot hear it.
Thinking about it too, I'm probably stressing mine more with having a large Fram fuel filter in front of the pump but so far it's been fine.
Jim

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Jim do you run a return line back to the tank or just the one to the carb?

Thanks Paul

·
6,560 Posts
taz3 said:
Jim do you run a return line back to the tank or just the one to the carb?

Thanks Paul
On my 73, I cut the factory steel line where it exits on top of and on the front side of the tank, used a short rubber line to connect to the fuel filter inlet, used a coupler to tie the filter directly to the input of the pump and then used another short section of rubber line to the factory steel line on the rear frame rail. On mine it could be returned to stock with just a new line on the tank (which is part of the sending unit).
Since my car had a sealed gas cap (and now it has on off of an old Charger and it too is sealed) I left the factory vent line that went up front to the original charcoal can plumbed to the tank. I have it disconnected since I don't have the charcoal can anymore but as somewhat of a safety item I installed a PVC valve on the end to where the tank can get air into it from the valve but if fuel tries to come out of it the valve should shut (but it's very unlikely that would happen). I really just wanted to put something on the end and not have the tube fully open on the end.
I would think if you had a 73 or newer Nova wanted to utilize a return for like some fuel injection systems you could use the line that went to the charcoal can as the return. The only problem is it is run on the driver's side of the car.

Jim

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Thanks for the response I'm debating how to pumb up an electric pump one of the 396's I want use is damaged where mechanical pump sits so I'll need to use an electric pump.

Thanks Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts