Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of the constant drone of my Holley Blue Pump and would like to convert back to a mechanical pump. I have a couple questions:

1. My fuel cell, filter, pump set up is shown below. It was taken before the system was finished but you get the idea. If I eliminate the electric fuel pump will I have a problem with the mechanical pump pulling fuel through that filter?

2. Can mechanical pump be used with the regulator intended for the Holley blue? I know it's not needed, but for simplicity sake I would just like to run the fuel from the cell to the in of the mechanical pump and then out to the regulator which is mounted on the inner fender and then over to both fuel bowls. I'm thinking the regulator won't impeed fuel flow.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just a suggestion first before going through the trouble of changing something that works. Have you tried to isolate the pump with some rubber mounts. It looks like it's mounted directly to metal to were it will reverb thru out the car. I welded some mounting studs and cut some shock bushings in half and sandwiched the mounting bracket so it foats on the bushings.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The fuel pump won't care about the filter as long as the filter is not restrictive. It's probably not.

The regulator won't care what ( which ) fuel pump is feeding it. It's job is to regulate pressure. If pressure feed exceeds what it is set to send, it will bleed off / block flow depending whether it has a return line or not.

Mechanical pumps are available at every parts store, and a LOT easier to change than a pump in the tank.

I say go for it.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a suggestion first before going through the trouble of changing something that works. Have you tried to isolate the pump with some rubber mounts. It looks like it's mounted directly to metal to were it will reverb thru out the car. I welded some mounting studs and cut some shock bushings in half and sandwiched the mounting bracket so it foats on the bushings.
This picture was from early mock up. I ended up using some dynomat where the pump attaches to the bracket that is attached to the fuel cell. Plus I have sealed the trunk and used dynamat again on the package tray and on the seat back area. Still loud as hell.

I went for a drive today and just for kicks I turned the fuel pump off.... the lack of the annoying droan was music to my ears. :yes:

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fuel pump won't care about the filter as long as the filter is not restrictive. It's probably not.

The regulator won't care what ( which ) fuel pump is feeding it. It's job is to regulate pressure. If pressure feed exceeds what it is set to send, it will bleed off / block flow depending whether it has a return line or not.
Great! That's what I thought I would hear and what I was hoping to hear. I think I'm gonna give it a shot.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I tried ditching my electric for the same reasons but i couldnt find a cheap BBC mech pump that would work, they kept dying so i gave up and reinstalled it.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried ditching my electric for the same reasons but i couldnt find a cheap BBC mech pump that would work, they kept dying so i gave up and reinstalled it.

That's why I originally went electric to begin with.

I was thinking about getting the 130 GPH Holley mechanical pump. It requires a regulator so I figure that would work well.

Is there any reason to not leave the Holley Blue in place as a back up? Would it cause a restriction?

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone at work gave me a good suggestion. Put a tee before the pump and after the pump so that the mechanical will pull fuel from around the electric pump. How does that sound?

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Someone at work gave me a good suggestion. Put a tee before the pump and after the pump so that the mechanical will pull fuel from around the electric pump. How does that sound?
as long as you put a full flow shut off valve in the middle.... if you dont, and have to use the electric, it will just recirculate the fuel..

see what I mean?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Not sure about that but I know that the Holley Blue drones like a cloud of pissed off bees. I don't really care for the noise either.

I think that's a Fram HPG-1 you have on there, which flows 90gph at 5psi. I'm not sure if it will be restrictive to a 130gph pump, but I would think it may be. As above, you can use the regulator with the 130gph pump. It may require one anyway.

I would just make a new AN6 line (what it looks like you have) straight from the cell to your existing line and join it with a coupling.

Or just say screw it and go to a Mallory Comp 140. I hear they run a lot quieter although I never ran one myself.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I would use a mallory 110 before a 140. IMO the 110's are pretty quiet compared to the 140, but the 140 is alot quieter than the holley.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would use a mallory 110 before a 140. IMO the 110's are pretty quiet compared to the 140, but the 140 is alot quieter than the holley.
Why would you use the 100 first? Cause it's enough for a 460 HP street car and a lot quieter?

If I were to go this route I need to run a return line too. Right now my regulator is dead headed, maybe that's part of why it's so loud.

Hmmm ... decisions ... decisions ...

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Why would you use the 100 first? Cause it's enough for a 460 HP street car and a lot quieter?

If I were to go this route I need to run a return line too. Right now my regulator is dead headed, maybe that's part of why it's so loud.

Yeah, a deadheaded Holley is louder. I remember the blue I installed was much quieter when I was free-flow testing it than it was when it was deadheaded.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm thinking about converting to a regulator that has a return line port and trying that first. If it significantly quiets the fuel pump I'm good to go. If not, then no harm no foul. On to another plan.

I imagine all regulators are compatable with different fuel pumps?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

I'm thinking about converting to a regulator that has a return line port and trying that first. If it significantly quiets the fuel pump I'm good to go. If not, then no harm no foul. On to another plan.

I imagine all regulators are compatable with different fuel pumps?
Yes. All regulators are compatible with all of the different pumps available as long as they are the correct type.

The Mallory Comp 110 pump will work right in place of your Holley pump. It doesn't require a bypass style regulator. Hell, it doesn't really require an external regulator at all if you adjust the internal pressure bypass valve in the base of the pump itself..:rolleyes:

Going to a bypass style regulator with your Holley pump will quiet it down a bit but it'll still be noisy.

All the Dyna-mat in the world isn't going to dampen the noise transmitted directly from the pump to your chassis. Think of it like holding a tuning fork to your skull.:D

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wish I knew someone that has a Mall Comp 110. I'd like to hear it before I go through the trouble and expense. Anyone have a video of their car that is running one?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I wish I knew someone that has a Mall Comp 110. I'd like to hear it before I go through the trouble and expense. Anyone have a video of their car that is running one?
I've got a Comp 110 that I use on my engine test stand and for my Hurricane fuel drum.:D

Trust me, compared to your Holley pump it's whisper quiet!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I used to run a stock mechanical pump with return years ago for putting around town. I also had a holley 110 by the fuel tank. It was hooked to a wot switch, so whenever I floored the car the pump would run. Whenever the elec pump wasn't running the mech would pull the fuel through it. Of course I had to have the reg also. The return line kept the fuel circulating to keep it cool. It was the best of both worlds. :yes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts