Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G evening All, Just kinda thinking about what Electric fuel pump would be the best cost value. Had Barry grants in the past...but dont think I need to go that much. Plan on about 360-375 hp 4 speed. Plan on stock gas tank and locating it above the rear axle out of the way. I plan on using a fuel regulator and filter on engine. Havnt bought one in decades and just wondering the best quality value...Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi there red cricket, I’m running and edelbrock quiet flow on my nova now 120gph if I remember right it’s like 7 psi max and I have it turned down to 6 on the pump it’s self great product not super super loud and keeps up with my 550hp 383
G evening All, Just kinda thinking about what Electric fuel pump would be the best cost value. Had Barry grants in the past...but dont think I need to go that much. Plan on about 360-375 hp 4 speed. Plan on stock gas tank and locating it above the rear axle out of the way. I plan on using a fuel regulator and filter on engine. Havnt bought one in decades and just wondering the best quality value...Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here’s a picture this on my 74 mounted on back by bumper on side of the little rear frame rail can’t see and ticks up under good also no regulator needed with this

Attachments

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Does the engine not have a place for a mechanical fuel pump? If it does, I would skip all of the extra stuff and use a holley 110 mechanical fuel pump. No regulator, electrical, or noise. I used one on my 425 hp 355, and have one on my 468 now.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Does the engine not have a place for a mechanical fuel pump? If it does, I would skip all of the extra stuff and use a holley 110 mechanical fuel pump. No regulator, electrical, or noise. I used one on my 425 hp 355, and have one on my 468 now.
Same here. My car had an electric pump when I bought it. The drone of that thing was the only thing about the car I really didn’t like. Changed to the Holley mechanical on my ZZ4 small block and installed the same on my 454. Never starves for fuel and now any issues out back aren’t masked by that constant noise.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should have asked sooner. Didnt know how good mech pumps have become. I left out the fuel pump rod... sooo i guess i have to go electric. My BAD...Tks for your feedback.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I don’t understand. My ss chevelle came with electric. Pull the block off plate and put the pushrod in. I just put mine back to mechanical.

·
Registered
198 Posts
There are 4 bolts holding the mechanical fuel pump boss cover on the block at the front on the passenger side.
You will need 3 things to install a mechanical fuel pump in place of the blank cover. A fuel pump pushrod, a cover to accommodate the fuel pump and the fuel pump itself. The bottom bolts can be reused but longer bolts are required to mount the pump.
Once you have the parts you need;
Remove the blank cover. If there is a pushrod in there it will fall out.
Install the pushrod.
Install the fuel pump cover with gasket and the two bottom bolts.
Hold the pushrod up and swing the fuel pump through the hole in the plate into place with gasket and two longer bolts.

You’ll have to bypass the electric pump at the rear and plumb in the mechanical pump up front.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I assume right now your engine has a plate on the passenger side front like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-401030

You will need to pull that off. Slide the pushrod in, and install a plate like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-42493

Then put the fuel pump on.

** only thing to note is if by chance your engine has a roller cam you may need a bronze tip pushrod. If it is a flat tappet cam, then a stock pushrod will work.

·
Registered
359 Posts
As others have said, you can convert your car back to a mechanical pump and skip the messing around (and added cost). My Nova had a ridiculously loud Holley Blue pump on it that finally bit the dust, so I went to a factory-style 3/8" pickup and a 110gph mechanical pump.

Remove the block-off plate, add the appropriate fuel pump rod, add the pump of your choice, and you're in business. Just make sure you pick up a pump that has the volume and pressure you need.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the way to go. What is the desired pressure one wants to hold on a carb 350 360 hp. Prob will be running a Holley 650 DP. Tks again..

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you are doing a stock type pump you shouldn't need a regulator, but a Holley DP typically requires 6-7 psi at idle.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Usually for a carb you run 6.5-7.5 psi. It depends on the carb. Holleys can usually handle 7-8 and quadrajets like it a little lower.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The Holley 110 gph pumps don’t need a regulator, and fuel pressure is relative. The lower the pressure you can get away with the better. The 110 pump is self regulating so you’ll probably have 6-7 on a gauge after the pump. I ran my 980 hp 565 with 6 psi at 7700 rpm, so I wouldn’t really worry about going high. Higher pressure just creates foaming of fuel in the bowls.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts