Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roughed out a pump/filter bracket today. Its a piece of 2"x2" 1/8 angle iron. I used the original bolt mounts on top of the filter and the orignal mounts on the pump. I drilled a 1 1/8" hole for the plumbing between the two. It will bolt to my frame and fuel cell rails. Still need to round the top corners and drill mounting holes maybe even powder coat. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
347 Posts
thanks for the post and pics. I'm fixing to do this to mine. I don't have a FCell yet, but I'm debating on that one.

Bracket looks good and sturdy! I'd def. round off those corners tho, one drop on the knuckle and... yeah. Plus that cell looks like it's mounted very nicely. Looks like it was a lot of work. (to me anyways)

I've never hooked up that plumbing.. is it hard to learn or what? Never really had that nice of a "rod" to have nice AN fittings and such.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the post and pics. I'm fixing to do this to mine. I don't have a FCell yet, but I'm debating on that one.

Bracket looks good and sturdy! I'd def. round off those corners tho, one drop on the knuckle and... yeah. Plus that cell looks like it's mounted very nicely. Looks like it was a lot of work. (to me anyways)

I've never hooked up that plumbing.. is it hard to learn or what? Never really had that nice of a "rod" to have nice AN fittings and such.
You know the plumbing is easy but there is a million different ways to do it. $ was a concern for me so I wanted to keep the fittings to a min. but still look good. Thats why I connected the pump/filter that way and it saved space. I added a fuel shut off at $36 for the rest I have about $60 so far. I am doing the exact same setup on the other side of tank for the Nitrous. I already had the pumps and filters.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I personally wouldn't hang that fuel filter by the two bolts. Can you extend the plate so you can use the other two? The filter is cantilevered which means one end is hanging free to vibrate and stress the two attached bosses.

In a collision or striking an object the filter housing may break, in turn breaking the aluminum fitting and spray fuel everywhere, possibly igniting on the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally wouldn't hang that fuel filter by the two bolts. Can you extend the plate so you can use the other two? The filter is cantilevered which means one end is hanging free to vibrate and stress the two attached bosses.

In a collision or striking an object the filter housing may break, in turn breaking the aluminum fitting and spray fuel everywhere, possibly igniting on the exhaust.
Are you saying to use all 4 bolts? I did think about that. It wouldnt be hard to do but I figured it would be fine. The manufacturers instructions have it being mounted by just two and a chrome angle bracket 1/8" thick. I do like your point I think I will weld a piece over to make all 4 bolts hang the housing. What are your thoughts on the pump being upside down?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I might be making some new changes. I just talked to the Holley tech guy and he strongly recomends the pump be upright. No fire danger but does lead to early failure due to condesation and possible cavitation issues. Also as some have stated my canister filter must go after the pump. I think I got 50/50 on my earlier post.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The pump and filter are solidly connected by the aluminum fitting. As the cantilevered pump and filter vibrate, the fitting has to flex. I'm willing to bet that is where the fracture will originate. If the filter was hanging on it's own from two bolts, and connected to the pump with flexible hose it wouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The factory holley bracket only uses 2 mount holes.
I have and seen them mounted by 2 bolts for years.
I had one mounted on my B/gas camaro and I can tell you with the 5 speed I would have broke it!

Never seen a issue. The design of the four mount holes is so you can change the flow direction.

The pic below shows my daughter Mustang with a facory mount.

Fram has been selling the very filter HPG-1 for over 35 plus years.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts

Who makes the valve? Part #??

I need to install one, great idea. We had to make a fuel pump change and had to drain the tank! Pain in the "A"!!!!

Thanks
AL

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The pump and filter are solidly connected by the aluminum fitting. As the cantilevered pump and filter vibrate, the fitting has to flex. I'm willing to bet that is where the fracture will originate. If the filter was hanging on it's own from two bolts, and connected to the pump with flexible hose it wouldn't be a problem.
I get that but the pump and filter are solidly mounted to the angle iron I dont see that bending so where is the flex coming from? Am I missing somthing?

Thanks for the imput its making me think.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I get that but the pump and filter are solidly mounted to the angle iron I dont see that bending so where is the flex coming from? Am I missing somthing?

Thanks for the imput its making me think.
Both components are lever arms with masses extending away from the pivot points. It's like a rocker arm has a short end and a long end with the stud anchor in the middle. A 1.5 ratio rocker arm changes .100" of movement into .150" of movement.

If the distance from the pivot to the end of the pump is 4" and the distance from the pivot to the fitting is 1", that lever ratio is 4:1.

The horizontal forces at the end of the lever arms are amplified by the length of the lever and transferred into the connector. A small force at the ends of the pump and filter housing is a large force concentrated into the lone, weak aluminum fitting.

Imagine if you took a hammer and smacked the end of the pump. The force would bend the angle iron and the aluminum fitting would break.
This would be like the tires kicking up a rock while driving the highway.

That angle iron is not as "solid" as you think.
If I put a strain gauge on that fitting, then pushed both the filter can and the pump towards and away from each other with my hands, you'd see the strain put on the fitting. It isn't visible to the naked eyes, but it's there. The weight of both vibrating will flex that fitting enough that over time a stress fracture would develop at the threads. It's not very thick between the ID and the root of threads and aluminum fatigues easily.

Al's "never had a problem" example has flexible hose and isn't the same siamesed configuration.

Either separate the two or reduce the cantilever.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Makes sense I didnt think the 1/8" angle would flex that much. I will start running with plan C I already pu plan B in the trash. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
It doesn't have to flex very much. It may only have to deflect in thousandths of an inch to create destructive forces on that fitting.

Like I said the strain on that fitting is not something you can "see" with your eyes. You don't have to toss it out, it's a simple enough fix.

Fuel system safety is not something to take your chances with.
I'd rather see you not go to the burn clinic or worse be killed, than be able to say "I told you so".

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again Im not tossing it out just because of that. I will be adding a short piece braided tube between the pump/filter about 3-4". The main reason for going to plan C is to have the pump motor upright. I was on Plan A(pics). B was flippin bracket for the pump but it made the filter hang to low. Plan C I will be adding a small crossmember to mount pump to and the fillter will go on the fuel tank crossmember closest to rearend. This will be cleaner looking, easier to replicate on the other side, and safer. Its a mater of $40 in fittings. Not a big deal for the piece of mind. I am a Firefighter and safety is always on my mind Ive seen what a car fire can qiuckly do to a trapped person to many times. I hope I didnt come off wrong I was just trying to understand the thought process and thanks for explaining it. I will put up some pics tomorrow of the new setup.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts