Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
fuel line too bent or kinked?

Hi,
while performing some tuning and trying to isololate why the motor is laying down at 4000 rpm and higher when hard on the gas I decided to check the fuel lines. The fuel line had rescently be replaced from mid car to the pump.

Do these bends look like they would restrict fuel fow?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Looks to be 3/8 line? Get some replacement hose to go from the tank to the fuel pump zip tie it up and and out of the way so it's safe as a temparary fix to see if you're engine problem is resolved. With those kinks in the hard line you may have enough fuel pressure but no volume. RICK

·
Registered
646 Posts
A bending tool is free use, with a small deposit, from Advanced Auto or Auto Zone on the tool loaner program. Looks like you have lost about 1/3 of your fuel flow

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Hi,
while perfroming some tuning and trying to isololate why the motor is laying down at 4000 rpm and higher when hard on the gas I decidied to check the fuel lines. The fuel ine had rescently be replaced from mid car to the pump.

Do these bend look like they would restrict fuel fow?

man...those are terrible.....obviously done with bare hands...get yourself a tube bender at kragen for $10 and start over!!

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks everyone. The suspicion of fuel starvation was on our minds.. With the help of a fellow Nova Guru I had tried all the timing, air/fuel and other carb tweaks but it kept pointing to not enough fuel. This issue had only presented it's self since the new line was put in. I have added the line replacement and correct install to my list of to do's.

Shaun

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
That's definitely a problem, those lines are all wrong, definitely a restriction. Need to use a tube bender on them. You can buy one for pretty cheap and they're really easy to use. Make sure you use at least 3/8" line.

Another problem area can be the sending unit line if using the stock tank and sending unit. Some of the Novas with smaller engines came with 5/16" line. A lot of guys replace the metal line from the tank to the carb, but neglect to change out the line in the tank in the sending unit. Make sure that is 3/8" as well after you run the new line.

Your car should run much better once you correct the fuel line, let us know how it goes when you're done!

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Another thing I noticed in a couple pics is it looks like your current line runs pretty close to your headers. That can cause problems if its too close with vapor lock. Since you're routing new line anyway, might be a good idea to try and route the line a little further away from the headers and engine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
get some steel braided fuel line!!,works great and easy to route, and no need for a tubing bender:yes: it can be pricey and you do need all those AN fittings, but thats what im using on my nova, works great.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another problem area can be the sending unit line if using the stock tank and sending unit. Some of the Novas with smaller engines came with 5/16" line. A lot of guys replace the metal line from the tank to the carb, but neglect to change out the line in the tank in the sending unit. Make sure that is 3/8" as well after you run the new line.

I have a new gas tank being put in and and 68SSGrandpa gave me a sending unit(new in the box :D) for a 396 BB set up, so it is 3/8" s well. This should assist with fuel delivery once i get the 3/8 line from tank to pump installed and bent correctly:rolleyes:. Can the the line from just the tank to pump be purchased alone, or does the set of 2 including the return line need to be ordered?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
if you're going to have the lines installed in the factory location, they cost a little bit of money, but the pre-bent lines are pretty nice. the std straight lengths of fuel line that are available at almost any local, reputable part store can be connected with inverted flared unions. they do restrict fuel a teeny bit and yes AN's are better but the straight lengths of line are pretty cheap. a bender can be had from Harbor Freight (or equivalent) for probably $5 bucks or so...

another option, the 3/8" aluminum line from Summit is around $25 bucks for 25'. real easy to hand bend and AN fittings can be used on that for not too much cash...

a few options but yeah, the bends in above images will restrict the flow... a lot more than an inverted union too by the way. full race cars need full, unrestricted fuel. a street car would be just fine using inverted flared unions. ;)

best of luck...

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Sump the tank and run a 1/2" aluminum hard line to the front. :D

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sump the tank and run a 1/2" aluminum hard line to the front. :D
I agree and from the bottom of my tank I run 5/8" braided to the front.
Shaun, I was unaware you still had those kinked lines. No amount of tuning will solve your fuel starvation issue.
Once the bowls empty the motor has to lay down due to lack of fuel.
My 1st post in what 2 years, nice to remember how to type:yes:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I thought I'd throw in a good word for Rigid. I got a heavy duty Rigid 3/8" bender and it bends so smooth and easy. It is almost impossible to kink, even stainless tube. I used it to do all the lines on my car and saved so much aggravation. Plus its built like a brick ****house so I know its going to last.

Its pricier (like $80) but worth every penny IMO. I still have my $10 Napa one but only use it for smaller lines.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts