Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the most horsepower that a 5/16" fuel line will handle[for a single carburated engine]? What are you guys using?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
this is from a link in our weblink library
http://www.centuryperformance.com/fuel.asp said:
Use these figures as a fuel line sizing standard:

Up to 250HP = 5/16" or -04 AN
Up to 375HP = 3/8" or -06 AN
Up to 550HP = 1/2" or -08 AN
Up to 800HP = 5/8" or -10 AN
Up to 1200HP = 3/4" or -12 AN
http://www.centuryperformance.com/fuel.asp

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
chevynuts88 said:
Whats the most horsepower that a 5/16" fuel line will handle[for a single carburated engine]? What are you guys using?
It depends on where your fuel pump is. If you have the pump at the rear and push fuel through the line, you will support a lot more power than if you are trying to suck fuel through the same line.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Mike Goble said:
It depends on where your fuel pump is. If you have the pump at the rear and push fuel through the line, you will support a lot more power than if you are trying to suck fuel through the same line.

hmmm...that is interesting...so if you run an electric fuel pump you can support the same HP with a smaller fuel line than if you were running a mechanical fuel pump?

Very interesting:)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
You can achieve higher flows with most of the electric pumps on the market than mechanicals. And fuel pumps are more efficient pushing the fuel than drawing it. I quess thats why they are fuel pumps not fuel suckers.;)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Updates?

Just curious if you guys have any new information on this subject?

Maybe some real field information from actual vehicles/applications, not from an article or mathematical equation. As I've found in reading tons of threads and articles, there's not one system that works the same every time. It depends on what size line, electric or mech pump, dead head or return regulator, stock pickup or sump, etc...

I have a sump in the gas tank, 383 Stroker with 510 hp, 700R4 Trans. Everything is new so I've been debating but think I'm going with a mechanical pump, the 130 or 170 from holley. So I'm down to determining whether I'm going to go with 3/8" or 1/2" line. I'd like to go with a 1/2" pre-bent, but I'm not sure it's made? If not then it's a roll of SS that I have to bend or just go with SS Braided.

Thanks.
Chad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts