Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I'm close to firing up the nova. On my 73, there's a steel fuel line that runs on the driver's side and ends right under the power booster which isn't connected to anything or plugged. The night I bought the nova and drove it home it was wreaking of gas fumes under the hood. I believe this line might have been hooked up to a evap canister of some sort but of course, I don't have one. What should I do about it?

Any insight is appreciated!!

·
14,584 Posts
You are correct, that should go to the cannister. You could get a cannister or just get a cap and put it over the end of the line. (I who used to live in Denver) On the cannister, one port goes to this line, the other port goes to the carb. Also, it is not a fuel return line but a vapor return line to the cannister.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where in Denver?

If I just cap the line, will it cause any problems?

If I get a canister, where would I connect the line to the carb from the canister?
BTW I have an Edelbrock 1406

·
Registered
566 Posts
If memory serves, the carb line to the vacuum canister is not 'live' but is 'switched' on to draw vacuum at mid-throttle and above. Seems to me it needs a check valve for backfire also.

Dig up an old vacuum schematic and it'll show ya.

·
14,584 Posts
The ports on the cannister are both marked. The carb line goes from the large center port on the front of the carb. None of my 3 cars had any type of check valve in the line. It was just a straight line from the carb to the cannister. The other line draws vapors from the tank. As for getting a cannister I would try to get one from a wrecking yard and then just replace the filter in it. The cannisters are pricey if you buy them new.

I grew up on S. Vrain street in Harvey Park just up the hill from Bear Valley. After I got married I lived in Columbine Hills for 27 yrs before moving to Ca.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts