Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After reading on this site, I know my '63 hard top should be 0-30 ohms for the fuel level sending unit. The following is said to fit the car, but is rated 0-35 ohms according to this:https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/spectra-premium-3844/lighting---electrical-16777/switches-16486/engine-switches-25047/fuel-sending-unit-assembly-11869/3913e658ef13/spectra-premium-fuel-sending-unit/fg90a/4359090

Anybody think that is a misprint or are they adding a +/- 5ohms already? Manager at Autozone may step up and give me that one after this one the float fracture multiple place, lengthwise after four months service: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/spectra-premium-3844/lighting---electrical-16777/switches-16486/engine-switches-25047/fuel-sending-unit-assembly-11869/3913e658ef13/spectra-premium-fuel-sending-unit/fg90a/4359090

Thanks for any advice. Once this is fixed the other gremlins get addressed.

-Rusty

·
6,502 Posts
I don't think it's anything to be overly concerned about. You also have to take into consideration how accurate the gauge is and any added resistances in the circuit.

I wonder too when they measured things did they possibly have the float arm higher than what it might be in a full gas tank or did they just measure one and it was on the high side of a specification while another one might have measured 30 ohms ?.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,531 Posts
I wouldn't think the 5 ohms would make that much of a difference. There are a lot of resistance factors that come into play with the sensing of the sender wiper. Once it is installed you will get use to what the gauge is seeing and where the indicator of the gauge is setting in relation to the amount of fuel you have. Of course, when it gets to empty, you'll know it.

I had a gauge in a car once that had the sender replaced and the tank was empty with the gauge indicator slightly above the E\. I never ran out again. :yes:

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,531 Posts
I've been driving for 57 years and can truthfully say I've never run out of gas.
Now you did it...........I've got to see just how far my truck will go!!!!! Or NOT!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of my favorite episodes! Great post!

Turns out young parts manager was leaving the 'Zone that day (leaving the area for the city) and gave me the upgrade free of charge!:D Thanks, Garrett!

Tried to bench test with the meter and it would read 47 when it should have been zero(-ish), but then 37 ohms at full. Weird.

Gator clipped it to the car's ohms wire/gauge, and cha-ching, worked great. Next, tried my outside rig-up with spare cluster and worked good there, too.

Installed and all is well!

Thanks for all the advice!

-Rusty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts