Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several brands to choose from over the counter. I've only tried Lucas brand and was woundering if anyone has used others and what they thought or could recomend.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
they all pretty much do the same deal...go with a reputable brand...if it were a diesel i would recommend diesel clean:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
All of the mechanics I know say that you are wasting your money if you just add a bottle when filling the tank. The best way is to get the injectors done at a shop where they disconnect the line and spray the cleaner directly into the line so they say.

Some people have told me that they have had noticeable improvements after adding a bottle in the gas tank. I have bought stuff over the counter and added it to the tank as well, but can't say that I've noticed any difference. A few bucks compared to about $100 is worth a try though.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
63AKDN said:
All of the mechanics I know say that you are wasting your money if you just add a bottle when filling the tank. The best way is to get the injectors done at a shop where they disconnect the line and spray the cleaner directly into the line so they say.

Some people have told me that they have had noticeable improvements after adding a bottle in the gas tank. I have bought stuff over the counter and added it to the tank as well, but can't say that I've noticed any difference. A few bucks compared to about $100 is worth a try though.
Same thing I've always heard from mechanics. I sell auto parts and most mechanics will tell you if your injectors need cleaning it will have to be done with pressure through the rail. The over the counter fuel injector cleaners are good to add from time to time to help keep the injectors clean (once they have been cleaned) IMO.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See I'm thinking the same thing I bought the lucas brand in the past but I really couldn't tell anything by driving down the road. To me it's a mind game I know i put this in the tank and now I think it runs better but does it really run any better? I'm just trying to get off cheap and not do a motor clean even though I should know better. But thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
the lucas product does work if you use it right. my son-n-law who is a master tech at the local gm dealer explained the process to me and how to get results. first buy the quart of lucas cleaner, add the correct amount to your tank of fresh fuel. run the tank as low as you can then fill up and add another treatment of cleaner to it. run the tank out and repete the process but also change your fuel filter. the lucas and other tratments will clean your gas tank and all that crap ends up in your filter. repete the treatment until the quart is gone and then change fuel filter again. after this treat once a month or more often if you are high mile driver for prevention. now i know for a fact this works or it did for me. the test was on my 96 grand prix w/170,000 miles on her. never had the injectors cleaned. after going thru this process total tank miles went from in the 390's to in the 420's.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
The fleet mechanic at my work swears by the Chevron stuff with Techron--I've added it to my 125+k Suburban a couple times and it still runs fine, gas mileage is about the same as new. Costco sells packs of it way cheaper than Chevron.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the last time I used the Lucas the blazer I have ran smoother but now I'm on to a different blazer and want to try somthing new. Probably one of the above reomended. Everyone have a great weekend

1 - 11 of 11 Posts