Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a new set of Sport Comp gauges in my 64. Everything went fine except for the gas gauge. The gauge dial didn't move. I installed a new sending unit thinking it went bad. Then I was told that the gauge might not be the right ohms. I ordered and installed a 0-30ohm gauge and now as soon as the ignition is turned on, the gas gauge goes past full. I'm stumped. I've tried different grounds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i had this problem and it turned out to be the ground from the unit on the tank to the body....it looked fine but upon closer inspection it was corroded pretty nasty....replaced the complete wire with new end connections and give it a good sanding on the body.and it fixed it right up,

·
Registered
482 Posts
I recently installed a new set of Sport Comp gauges in my 64. Everything went fine except for the gas gauge. The gauge dial didn't move. I installed a new sending unit thinking it went bad. Then I was told that the gauge might not be the right ohms. I ordered and installed a 0-30ohm gauge and now as soon as the ignition is turned on, the gas gauge goes past full. I'm stumped. I've tried different grounds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

did you get the 30 ohm gauge or the 90 ohm gauge? sounds like you had a bad ground from the get go. now that you changed it to the 30 ohm sender with a clean ground. its the wrong sender. or the old 90 ohm sender was bad. test the 90 ohm sender with a volt meter.

·
6,502 Posts
Take a look at some info I put together on fuel gauge systems:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/570235195atVBBV

Basically to test the GM system you disconnect the wire going to the sending unit from the gauge and then ground this end of the wire going towards the gauge and if it reads Empty or below this is how it should be. If you then disconnect the wire going towards the gauge and have it touching nothing and the gauge then reads full or above this is good. If both of these tests work then it is either the sending unit or it's ground. You must also have the ignition switch to the run position.

Just because something is new does not mean it will always work. I've read of many "new" parts being bad right out of the package.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts