Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the pointer in my fuel gauge (Auto Meter Sport Comp) is now pointing roughly to the 3 o'clock position after doing some welding on the car. I disconnected the battery before I started, and I also discharged the cap on the stereo. Have any of you guys had a similar experience? I have not done anything to the wires at the tank other than move them around.
Grant

·
6,558 Posts
Is it that way after reconnecting the battery and turning on the ignition ?. If so then I would try disconnecting the sending unit wire and grounding it to see if the gauge moves to empty and when disconnected from the tank if it goes above full.
I have seen some gauge needles creep or move but once the proper signals are sent to it they return and read like they should.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Welding on cars can very harmful to lots of components. The circuits with resistance type controls, like fuel, water and oil gauges and the senders are most vulnerable. Disconnecting the battery doesn't do much to protect the electrical system as everything is tied together thru the ground circuit.

It can also damage bearings in transmissions, rear ends and at the wheels from the current arcing across the rollers. Always keep your ground clamp as close as possible to the area being welded to avoid current flowing thru other areas of the vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts