Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 78 nova a few months ago and now I'm tearing into it. My friend is going to make me a custom dash and I'm going to replace the gauges. I found this complete Auto meter set on summit. The problem is that the fuel gauge says that it is electric. If I understand right, the fuel gauge in the nova is on a float. So does that mean that this fuel gauge will not work. Any advice will be much appreciated.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-07-0001/media

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
If it is a 0 - 90 ohm gauge it will work with the sender in the tank. All fuel gauges are electric, the float moves an electrical contact to change the reading.

·
6,516 Posts
The gauge needs to be matched to the sender. If the stock sender is a 0-90 ohm, then you would need a 0-90 ohm gauge. If you have a 0-30 ohm gauge then you need to have it wired to a 0-30 ohm sender. Your stock sender is a 0-90 ohm (0 ohms being empty and 90 ohms being full) and if the aftermarket gauge should read empty with a zero ohm resistance and then read full with a 90 ohm resistance, all is good. Just be aware there may be gauges that need just the opposite but those are far and few in between. Most aftermarket gauge and/or sending unit companies will make things work with some stock parts being reused.

Hopefully the old gauge was working right and if so, that's good. If you do a search on this site you will find all kinds of problems with stock senders, aftermarket senders, stock gauges, aftermarket gauges, and wiring problems so if things do not work right after the gauges are in I think there are plenty of answers here on Steve's.

I have no idea what you plan is but I have replaced a few instrument panels on cars and most of the wires are already run and you have the option of using them if they are good or running your own. You also have options as to how to connect into the existing wires. I would design the install to where you can take the new dash out to the car, plug it in and it works and hopefully not have to wire the gauges into the car with the dash dangling by the wires doing them one at a time.

Jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you

Thank you Jim and Philip. As far as I know the sending unit is original and the fuel guage works just fine. I will be sure to check the specifications on the gauge before I purchase.

Andrew

P.S.- I didnt double post on purpose. I pretty much use my iPhone 99% of the time when Im the web. Sometimes it acts up and I cant tell if the post went through or not, or it does it on its own.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
P.S.- I didnt double post on purpose. I pretty much use my iPhone 99% of the time when Im the web. Sometimes it acts up and I cant tell if the post went through or not, or it does it on its own.
Not a problem, there are those that post the same question multiple times thinking it will get answered faster...it doesn't :)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Not a problem, there are those that post the same question multiple times thinking it will get answered faster...it doesn't :)
YEAH, you're Right!!! :no: :D

no biggie... didn't mean ta bite yer head off :no:

yes he did :yes:

NOOO... i didn't!!! :no:

:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts