Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys its time for me to put together my fuel system. I have found lots of info by searching but need some more help. What size filter (micron) is best for a street/strip aplication? I worry about some (10 micron) being to restrictive. Also why use a pre filter? I am going to be useing my Holley Blue for the motor and my Holley red for the nitrous (already have these laying around as well as most -an fittings needed).So I am building two systems both coming of the 1 fuel cell. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
A 100 micron "Pre-filter" will keep any trash out of your pumps and a 10 micron filter will keep the smaller trash out of your carb and nitrous system. Just make sure a get filters with a high enough flow rating and as much filter "Surface Area" as possible.

Remember, a pre-filter will catch and keep the foam from your cell from destroying your pump when it starts to break down.:yes:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
So is 100 micron filter considered to be a pre filter? Why not not just use a 10 micron filter before the pump and call it good?
It makes it too hard for the pump to "Suck" since electric pumps don't suck very well. It has caused LOTS of pumps to burn up.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok that makes since. So is a pre filter a must. My whole fuel system is new but the cell does have foam. Im trying to find a good place to locate everything and doing two filters takes up some space.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i run a mallory 250/500 filter which has duel inlets and outlets. i run both pump through this filter. the same way your going. there pretty cheap and is a canister style so you can change the element when needed. ill try and shoot a couple pics today.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i run a mallory 250/500 filter which has duel inlets and outlets. i run both pump through this filter. the same way your going. there pretty cheap and is a canister style so you can change the element when needed. ill try and shoot a couple pics today.

Thanks Josh if you can try to get as much of the system as you can. So you dont use a prefilter right?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I use two fram HPG-1 filters for my fuel injected car. One before the pump and one after. But...... I may change that setup after reading the post from D-man. They are new so the flow seems to be ok. But it really makes sense to use a lower restriction filter before the pump. Thanks guys. JR

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going through a friends garage and came across a fram hpg-1 and extra elements. Price free:yes:. Any one else have any comments on these? Its 10 micron and flows 90gph. and tons of filter area. He also thinks he has another one at his dads that would be the same price. He know longer has his Chevelle and wants to get rid of the last few things. So now Im thinking of using one for the motor and one for the nitrous. Please comment. Thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
I was going through a friends garage and came across a fram hpg-1 and extra elements. Price free:yes:. Any one else have any comments on these? Its 10 micron and flows 90gph. and tons of filter area. He also thinks he has another one at his dads that would be the same price. He know longer has his Chevelle and wants to get rid of the last few things. So now Im thinking of using one for the motor and one for the nitrous. Please comment. Thanks
if you run both i dont see a problem with that. and thanks. it was def. a fun ride lol. its got a .30 in it i just got to get it there. and if i do that im going for that 8.99 mark.:yes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts