Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the fuel filter on my Nova today with a FRAM G12 which is a clear filter with a paper element. The old filter was completely full of fuel when I pulled it off. I put the new filter on and the car runs just fine, but the filter only gets about 1/6 of the way full. Is this normal or is my fuel pump likely weak? Interestingly enough I also have a '71 Duster with a 360 in it. I run the same type of filters on it (it has 2 of them) and they don't ever fill up either. The Duster even has a brand new fuel pump. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Can anybody shed any light on this? Do I need to upgrade my factory replacement pump for something better? My car has a mildly built 350 with the typical performance bolt ons. Running a new 600 Holley, Edelbrock SP2P intake, headers, Flowmaster exhaust.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, good to know. I just found it weird that the old one was full before I replaced it today. I just figured out something interesting. I took the fuel line off of the carb. and cranked the motor for several seconds. Seems like it pushed some air out of the filter because now it fills at least halfway. I also did this on my Duster and now both filters are about 3/4 full. I really do think air was trapped in the filters which only allows part of the filter element to actually be used. I put my finger over the end of the disconnected fuel line and cranked it. There was a ton of pressure trying to blow my finger off the line instantly and there was fuel coming out of the end of the line but the filter had almost no fuel in it. Cranking the engine with the line disconnected seemingly pushed a lot of trapped air out of the filters on both of my cars. I am happy with these results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts