Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A member was asking about some pics of my fuel filler door install so I figured I would post them here in case anyone else is interested. Sorry for the bad photos. Pre-digital camera days. Scans from bad photos.

The door is from an 86 honda civic. Man thats some tough metal for being so thin. I liked the square look, coulda got a round one, junk yard special. The whole car is nuthin but straight lines, no round shapes cept the headlights. The square door compliments the lines of the car IMO. I was able to keep the remote cable which is routed up to just behind the drivers seat. JR

Honda inner bucket with door removed.

Cardboard template made from honda filler. Plasma cut old filler.

Old filler completely cut out. Test fit of new filler. It had to be shaped to the curve of the nova quarter, the honda was pretty flat.

Ready to weld

Welded, sanded and some primer.

Door back on, some filler work on the filler :)

Epoxy primed waiting for finish work.

Inside trunk, fuel cell. Stainless filler tube.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks guys. Umm a side shot, not really. Here is one after the epoxy. Still alot of work needed on the body. The black makes it look "ok". But when you eyeball it down the side you can see the spots that need attention. The sharp line (belt line) is wavy in some areas. All in do time. I mostly wanted to get it outta the gray primer the previous owner had it in so the metal wouldnt rust anymore, it was starting to get those lil rust spots. Now Im comfortable with it in epoxy I can work on the mechanical stuff. Ill let a proper body man make it straight. Im not all that good when it comes to body work, the pros are like artists. I wont even be looking for anything close to show quality, cant afford that, just looking for decent. JR

Hey 66, here are some side shots after I epoxy primed it. Still rough. Some day, it will get there.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Ya know, that hidden style filler door is starting to really grow on me. I always liked the look of a chrome cap back there. I've seen some other square doors, and they always seemed out of place by being a bit too small. This one fits the panel really nice. Glad I have A LOT of time before I need to figure that out.

By the way, how hard was it to run the release cable?

THANKS!!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya know, that hidden style filler door is starting to really grow on me. I always liked the look of a chrome cap back there. I've seen some other square doors, and they always seemed out of place by being a bit too small. This one fits the panel really nice. Glad I have A LOT of time before I need to figure that out.

By the way, how hard was it to run the release cable?

THANKS!!
I was just thinking of keeping the gas guzzlers from stealin my gas at first LOL But then the look kinda stuck with me. Yeah, a locking gas cap does the same thing. Been a few years but I think the cable was the easiest part. It runs up front to just behind the front seat, just kinda laying there right now, I dont have any interior. But its long enough and I didnt do anything to modify it.. JR

·
Registered
197 Posts
Again JR, all I can say is "SUUWWEEEEEETTT" !!!!!!
When I paint the car, I am going to do this. Like the other guys are saying, that door fits the size of the car, and looks like it should have been there all along.
Good job, and thanks for posting.

MODERATORS???? Should we "sticky" this is body and interior??
I say yes....:yes:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys... The curve?? Hmmm. Good question, I forget :eek: Its been some time.

But... I think for the inner bucket I just went to town on it with a hammer and formed it against an 8" heavy wall pipe clamped to my work bench/anvil. And the door could be hand formed using the pipe as a curved surface to press against. For the top and bottom of the door I used a dead blow rubber mallet because there was nothing to hold onto. Just a lot of back and forth between the car and the work bench. JR

·
Registered
426 Posts
you did an amazing job on this man!!:yes: perfect fit IMO. :yes:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you did an amazing job on this man!!:yes: perfect fit IMO. :yes:
Thanks abunch!! For a non-bodyman, just a home garage hack like myself it gives me a boost to continue on with the project after hearing some words of encouragement. I dont always no if my modifications are good to go till I get a nod. Thanks!! JR

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Thanks abunch!! For a non-bodyman, just a home garage hack like myself it gives me a boost to continue on with the project after hearing some words of encouragement. I dont always no if my modifications are good to go till I get a nod. Thanks!! JR
JR
You do some seriously nice work:yes: You can stop by my place and be a "home garage hack" any time you want. I can't wait to see that bad boy car you built someday. That is going to be one of the nicest home built cars I have ever seen. I love the home built stuff. I appreciate a well done home built 10x more than a super nice, but shop built car. I know it all takes time and tallent, but any guy who will take the time to stop and learn a new skill just so he can take another step on their project gets the most respect from me.

Ron

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JR
You do some seriously nice work:yes: You can stop by my place and be a "home garage hack" any time you want.
Ron
Thanks Ron.. I lived in SCV from 90 to 99. Moved a lil further south/west to ventura county. I would have loved stopping buy to watch you do your magic on your car. You have a show piece that is stuffed with some great performance parts also. Your car is one of the best novas, if not the best up there. Including much of the SFV and upwards into the antelope valley. You have some sick crazy attention to detail. Best though, you have a strong family value.. Thanks for checking in. I gotta get back up to the valley to check the ol stomping grounds. Prolly changed some huh?? JR

1 - 18 of 18 Posts