Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about some stuff I've seen and may want to do on my 66 in the future. I've noticed on some pictures and youtube videos that some guys are filling their factory fuel opening and putting flush mount fillers on top of the fenders. I've been looking at this one but it is expensive.

Any of you guys did this and is there anything else out there that is nice and less expensive. I do want to be able to paint it body color.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
That would be cool. Make sure end result is vented properly. Wouldn't want gas to spew out on fill ups.

Also been my experience, COOL is always Expensive.
I think this raises a very good point. If you plan on driving you car a fair amount this could turn out to be a pain. I can see myself pouring gas all over my fender trying to get the right angle for filling up.

There are other options out there but I am not aware of any others for the top of your fender.- I guess the other question is - How flat is the top of your fender to add this type of set up?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've thought about this as well. Also, I've looked at that exact cap. I worry about spilling gas on the quarter during fill ups. There are some folks here that have moved their filler to the trunk. I like the idea. I suppose that I would be concerned about fumes then? Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,377 Posts
I think if I was going to do the fuel filler delete I would move it to the inside of the trunk to keep accidental fuel spills off the exterior paint.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A gas filler in the tail light like the tri-5 Chevys would be really cool too. Probably less likely to spill all over the paint.

I'm not sure I have the fab skills to pull that off but it would be a great option. I'm surprised nobody has come up with a kit. I think it would be pretty simple to fabricate a stock style vent using the top mounted filler. It should just need a tube installed and turned down like the factory filler neck has.

At about 2:38 in this video is a picture of what I'm wanting. I know there is something out there that will work but I'm not 100% certain that's what's on this car.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Thinking about some stuff I've seen and may want to do on my 66 in the future. I've noticed on some pictures and youtube videos that some guys are filling their factory fuel opening and putting flush mount fillers on top of the fenders. I've been looking at this one but it is expensive.
I think it would be a good look. I dont know the body of a 66 but I did something similar on my 62. I had to link up to a 20gal fuel cell down below. Yes, I still have a trunk and a 20gal fuel cell, and a full on Ride Tech air tank and electronics.

Biggest thing? When you find your fuel leak (if you have one), fix it correctly.. I have watched folks get in a hurry and burn their car down with a fuel leak.. Gaskets are NOT all made the same,, JR

·
Registered
219 Posts
Any of you guys did this and is there anything else out there that is nice and less expensive. I do want to be able to paint it body color.
That one is almost $300, and that's a discounted price???

I've used marine "deck plate" filler caps before.

That one uses a keyed cap. You can also get them with keyless caps, like this one

Tons of them on Amazon, either in "chrome plated" Chineseum, or in polished 316 Stainless Chineseum.

·
Registered
333 Posts
This is cool. I originally wanted to do an exterior one. Now I'm leaning this way. Have you got far enough along to test this? Any issues filling the tank?

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is cool. I originally wanted to do an exterior one. Now I'm leaning this way. Have you got far enough along to test this? Any issues filling the tank?
No problem filing tank. Sometimes when filing you have to run the fuel at the lowest setting other times faster. Depends on if the wind is blowing toward or into the trunk. The vent tube is located as high as I could but it under the trunk floor. It is located where the floor was modified for the sway bar and rear shock mount. The piece of tube you see welded to the left side of the trunk floor is is just slightly larger so a 2" stainless piece of tubing can slide threw it. If when filing the gas kicks back to shut off it does not get into the trunk or smell it will run down the bottom of the jam area and behind the rear bumper.
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim Bumper

1 - 20 of 28 Posts