Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
as stated in previous posts about tank vent lines, there should NOT be a loop in it. it should come straight up and then bend down outside of trunk area. NO LOOP. Loop could pontentially get fuel in it and then you have no vent.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
the loop as i have stated many times is a bad mistake.

The loop started when the government mandated a drop loop or drain loop on AC Condensation drain on HVAC units.
The drop loop is a liquid line trap. As fluid drains it fills the loop causing a "FLUID TRAP" This trap does not allow cool air from the evaporator coil unit to escape saving energy.

Using a loop is fine until the vapors get trapped and become liquid again causing a "FLUID TRAP" It will then take vacuum or pressure to clear the line.

The vent on the fuel tank needs to be neutral without any restriction.

This "fluid trap" line restriction will cause a problem with fuel supply.

BE WARNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
i will go back and straighten mine out then. i missed the discussion where it was a bad idea to loop it.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Umm, why a dedicated vent line anyway?? I dont see the purpose. Educate me.

I have a vented filler neck, just a lil hole that is in the filler neck area (honda neck I used). I imagine they put it there for fuel leakage as the folks pulled out the filler tube so the excess fuel could drain back into the tank. I use it as a vent.

But if it wasnt there I would just do what I did on my other car and have the cap vent. I had to modify the cap, just a simple hole drilled though the lock. But thats plenty of vent for the tank, you dont suck that much fuel out to need a dedicated vent line.

IMO race inspired ideas that dont mean much for a steet car. Just cause the vent fitting is there doesnt mean it needs to be used. As long as you have a small vent, in the cap or the filler neck that extra hose and fitting is just for looks.

Ya aint suckin that much gas :no: JR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts