Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am looking at putting in a fuel cell in my car and am wondering which is better an aluminum one or a poly one i was also going to get it with foam and a sending unit which sending unit do i use the 0-90 ohm right also does it matter if i go with foam i know its prolly in the wrong section but im wanting some feed back from drag racers since my car is street/strip

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
i'm going aluminum with mine, for a couple of reasons.....

-they look better (IMO)
-should offer more protection (both in a crash and objects banging around in trunk)
-i've seen a lot of poly cells actually caving in/ drooping on the top (i guess its from lack of proper ventalation, but brings me back to the sturdy appearance of the alum cells)
-and i dont think you have to ground or worry about static electricity (fire) with the aluminum cells (could be wrong on this one?)

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
hey guys i am looking at putting in a fuel cell in my car and am wondering which is better an aluminum one or a poly one i was also going to get it with foam and a sending unit which sending unit do i use the 0-90 ohm right also does it matter if i go with foam i know its prolly in the wrong section but im wanting some feed back from drag racers since my car is street/strip
Jim, go with a poly tank. They're generally lighter and more durable - they can absorb a lot more energy than an aluminum tank before splitting or cracking (particularly at the welded seams). I've had my Jaz Products 16 gal. (foam filled) poly cell for 12+ years (two interations of my car) and no issues what so ever.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was told(I don't know how true it is, since I put a sump in a new tank)to get away from the drooping to put a piece of pvc pipe inside the cell to give support

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Jim, go with a poly tank. They're generally lighter and more durable - they can absorb a lot more energy than an aluminum tank before splitting or cracking (particularly at the welded seams). I've had my Jaz Products 16 gal. (foam filled) poly cell for 12+ years (two interations of my car) and no issues what so ever.

I have used my aluminum for about 7 years on the street and have not had any problems with spliting or cracking at the welded seams. These tanks are presure tested for leaks. Also if you are mounting through the trunk aluminum is better against punture or abrassions. If its in the trunk either will work. The poly is lighter but not by much. Plus if you have traction issues a little extra weight where needed could help.

·
Registered
562 Posts
its all what you want. if you go polly or aluminum there both good. i ran my first car with poly now i have used aluminum in the last 3 cars.

people were talking about poly being lighter, me and a buddy bought our 15 gallon cells at the exact same time, you will need a scale that is better than ours because they were less than a pound difference.

i have heard the stories about static electricity with poly, never seen one blow up. i have seen poly cave in on the top, but it wasnt the tanks problem it was the person who didnt vent it. you vent and install how your suppose to and both are good.

as far as the sending unit, they have 90 ohm sending already placed in some tanks and they will work with your stock gm gauges, or aftermarket gm gauges

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Hey Jim before you order your cell you might want to ohm your current sending unit because the factory gauge on my car was a 0-30 ohm, i had ordered the 0-90 sending unit so i had to get an autometer fuel gauge. Either aluminum or poly cells are fine. JMO.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
I have used my aluminum for about 7 years on the street and have not had any problems with spliting or cracking at the welded seams. These tanks are presure tested for leaks. Also if you are mounting through the trunk aluminum is better against punture or abrassions. If its in the trunk either will work. The poly is lighter but not by much. Plus if you have traction issues a little extra weight where needed could help.
So, you've been in a wreck that damaged the aluminum tank/cell and it didn't leak? That's great. The two that came into my shop that had enough rearend damage (hitting the guard rail backend first) to damage the fuel cell both split the aluminum at the welds nearest the impact and leaked. in my experience, the poly cells will absorb more of an impact before rupturing.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
So, you've been in a wreck that damaged the aluminum tank/cell and it didn't leak? That's great. The two that came into my shop that had enough rearend damage (hitting the guard rail backend first) to damage the fuel cell both split the aluminum at the welds nearest the impact and leaked. in my experience, the poly cells will absorb more of an impact before rupturing.

No I have not been a wreck that damaged the cell and that is great. I imagine that if a building fell on it it might also leak. So are you saying that in those two wrecks that had all of that rearend damage the poly wouldn't have leaked? That a pretty bold assumption. I do beleive that with enough force anything can be damaged. Maybe thats why GM went under they didnt use poly tanks. Im not against poly I have one in my 64 Land Cruiser I just think either one will work out. Also I am sure that poly tanks have failed to when hitting gaurd rails backend first or buildings falling on it for that matter. Both have their strengths and weaknesses Ijust prefer the aluminum:D

·
Registered
733 Posts
Not to steal this thread but you guys are talking about a problem I am currently having.

I have a summit 12 gallon cell in my old c-10.And recently the top of the cell started drooping like you all are talking about.

It has a vent hole cut in the top.I believe it's a -6 vent.I don't have a hose hooked to it yet.But it still is vented through the hole.

Any idea's on how to get the droop out besides the peice of PVC.Even though that is a good idea.

Thanks.

·
Registered
562 Posts
if the poly tanks are in the sun they will do that. we started running aluminum in the trucks for that reason. if the sun is beating on them, in the trunk of a car its a little different[ from my experiences]

make sure the tank has a looped vent that goes under the truck from one of the an fittings on the top.

i love c-10's here is the one i did a 4 link on not to long ago. p.s. sorry for getting off topic

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well that makes since.The cell has been in my nova that sits in the garage for 2 years.A couple weeks in the bed of the truck and it started drooping.

Yeah I love c-10's to.I got this truck when it still had a 2 barrel 307 with points.Not to much longer after that the points went bad and my life changed 4-ever.I started swapping cams and intakes.And the rest is history.Now I have probably 1/2 of my life earning's into old cars and trucks.

Sorry for getting off topic 2!:)

PS why did you back half it.The chevy trailing arms work pretty good with a set of coil overs.....Was it a GMC?

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I have the Summit aluminum 20 gallon cell and am very happy with it. Make sure to vent it with a rollover valve.

Also, Summit's fuel level sender ... I have had problems with 2 of them sticking at 3/4 tank even when empty. Also the 20 gallon tank that comes with a sender that is 8 1/2 inches long, but the tank is 10" deep. My tank showed empty when I had 7 gallons in the tank. So I have ordered a fuel sender from centroid.com and should get it any day now.

One other thing to consider ... it is much easier to fill up with this RCI filler neck bolted to the cell.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RCI-7036B&N=700+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I don't want to hijack this post but I've had poor results with JAZ fuel sending units....they don't register correctly full tank registers 1/2 full on the gauge...............would some kind of resistor be needed in this situation? Both gauge and sending unit are 90 ohm and wiring is fine...............

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I don't want to hijack this post but I've had poor results with JAZ fuel sending units....they don't register correctly full tank registers 1/2 full on the gauge...............would some kind of resistor be needed in this situation? Both gauge and sending unit are 90 ohm and wiring is fine...............
I'm pretty sure Jazz makes the senders for Summit. Don't read accurate AND get stuck at 3/4 full. They're crap. There's another thread in the drag racing forum that addresses this ad naseum.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Not to steal this thread but you guys are talking about a problem I am currently having.

I have a summit 12 gallon cell in my old c-10.And recently the top of the cell started drooping like you all are talking about.

It has a vent hole cut in the top.I believe it's a -6 vent.I don't have a hose hooked to it yet.But it still is vented through the hole.

Any idea's on how to get the droop out besides the peice of PVC.Even though that is a good idea.

Thanks.
has It been In the sun for a period of time?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts