Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im lookin for ideas on the layout for my fuel system, maybe you could post a few pics to help me along, not sure to keep the cell in the trunk, or mount it down thro the floor,

im running -8 lines from cell all the way to reg. And duel -6 to the 850 carb.

And -8 lines from the cell to the pump, -6 from there though the reg, up to the gas syl. For the n2o system

so im looking for some real nice set-ups maybe with duel pumps, and duel filters...

Help me out nova brotherin....

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
hey fasteddie i like your idea dont have to cut the trunk floor :yes: does your cell have foam and a sending unit, whos make is it, although i do like the summit aluminum cell too. i was thinking of installing a fuel cell also what do you guys think of installing a flat bottom cell ( no sump )

·
Registered
225 Posts
16gal cell with sump below,dual pumps and dual filters..

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
hey fasteddie i like your idea dont have to cut the trunk floor :yes: does your cell have foam and a sending unit, whos make is it, although i do like the summit aluminum cell too. i was thinking of installing a fuel cell also what do you guys think of installing a flat bottom cell ( no sump )
Cell is made by RCI, it has a sending unit but no foam! I would go with a sump.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Wow, do i have questions for all the fuel line experts.

Here is my setup:

20 gal cell with sump to
Fram filter to
holley blue fuel pump then to
a tee with a pressure gauge to read line pressure
then up to the Holley regulator ( has one inlet and two outlets)
One side goes to another tee with a pressure gauge to read pressure before the carb then on to the carb with duel inlet

The other side of the regulator was hooked up to a reture line back to the fuel cell

I am now thinking i have it setup wrong. I do not think i should be running that return line off my second inlet side of the regulator. Im only getting 2.5 lbs pressure to my carb!!! After the regulator is completely open.

By the way i have 1/2" aluminum fuel line for everything with -8 an fittings. Thank god no leaks.

Any help or info on what i should be doing with a return line would be great.

I ran the engine without a return line with stock tank, but switched everything ov er and was told that this is the way to run it. I think i was told wrong.

Thanks for any info. Much appreciated.:yes:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
usually with the holley regulators you only use one outlet and cap the other one off or use both outlets to the carb. If you want to use the other as a return you need to use a smaller line like a -4 or even a -3 with a nitrous jet as a restrictor so it doesn't return all the fuel and maintain adequate pressure.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Im lookin for ideas on the layout for my fuel system, maybe you could post a few pics to help me along, not sure to keep the cell in the trunk, or mount it down thro the floor,

im running -8 lines from cell all the way to reg. And duel -6 to the 850 carb.

And -8 lines from the cell to the pump, -6 from there though the reg, up to the gas syl. For the n2o system

so im looking for some real nice set-ups maybe with duel pumps, and duel filters...

Help me out nova brotherin....

I noticed alot of peeps now putting the tanks inside the trunk and lot cutting the floor to allow the sump to hang out. Eddie's system is pretty clean and should work nice. Plus you can keep everything out of sight and secured.

I've set up a few systems were the sump is outside the trunk and I mount the pumps and filters inline with the sump so the lines do not go up or down its all in a straight line. For a simple upgrade on a street/strip car I use -8 braided hose from the tank to the pump(s) and filter(s) and after use 1/2" aluminum line up to the front and then use a bulkhead fitting to enter the engine compartment. From there use braided line again to the regulator(s) and then -6 braided hose the carb(s) and also run a separate regulator for nitrous.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I noticed alot of peeps now putting the tanks inside the trunk and lot cutting the floor to allow the sump to hang out. Eddie's system is pretty clean and should work nice. Plus you can keep everything out of sight and secured.

I've set up a few systems were the sump is outside the trunk and I mount the pumps and filters inline with the sump so the lines do not go up or down its all in a straight line. For a simple upgrade on a street/strip car I use -8 braided hose from the tank to the pump(s) and filter(s) and after use 1/2" aluminum line up to the front and then use a bulkhead fitting to enter the engine compartment. From there use braided line again to the regulator(s) and then -6 braided hose the carb(s) and also run a separate regulator for nitrous.
Thanks Mikey!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
usually with the holley regulators you only use one outlet and cap the other one off or use both outlets to the carb. If you want to use the other as a return you need to use a smaller line like a -4 or even a -3 with a nitrous jet as a restrictor so it doesn't return all the fuel and maintain adequate pressure.
That is exactly what is not happening to my return line. IT IS WAY TO BIG and is returning all the fuel. Guess i will cap it off until i find a regulator that is made for it, or restrict it down. ect..

OR Slap a blown 427 and use that other 1/2 inch return line as a main line to the other carb? haha

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I have a 20 gal cell with sump installed about half way through the trunk pan. In between the frame rails. I enclosed it with a steel case to keep the road rocks from popping a hole. The case sits lower than the tank by three inches cause I have a fram hpg1 filter off the sump (right at its port level) feeding my electric pump (EFI) then to another hpg1 then the line goes forward to the regulator.

I made an access panel to cover the pump and filters so you cant see them, and I dont have any pics without removing the panel. But here is a pic of the tank. The pump and filters are along the right hand side.

Oh, and I wanted some convenience so I plumbed it to fill from the outside instead of having to lift the trunk for a sip of gas. Street car, no race track issues. JR

Steel tank on the outside...

Filler neck. Not finished.

flapper door.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow, do i have questions for all the fuel line experts.

Here is my setup:

20 gal cell with sump to
Fram filter to
holley blue fuel pump then to
a tee with a pressure gauge to read line pressure
then up to the Holley regulator ( has one inlet and two outlets)
One side goes to another tee with a pressure gauge to read pressure before the carb then on to the carb with duel inlet

The other side of the regulator was hooked up to a reture line back to the fuel cell

I am now thinking i have it setup wrong. I do not think i should be running that return line off my second inlet side of the regulator. Im only getting 2.5 lbs pressure to my carb!!! After the regulator is completely open.

By the way i have 1/2" aluminum fuel line for everything with -8 an fittings. Thank god no leaks.

Any help or info on what i should be doing with a return line would be great.

I ran the engine without a return line with stock tank, but switched everything ov er and was told that this is the way to run it. I think i was told wrong.

Thanks for any info. Much appreciated.:yes:
I have the same regulator on my car. It is designed to be able to feed two carbs. Plug one of the outlets (does not matter which one) and run the other to the carb. If you ever get froggy and want to run a dual carb set up you will be ready to go as far as fuel delivery is concerned. Dont send your regulator back. the one you have is just fine.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
However you plumb your system you need to have the pump gravity fed. An electric fuel pump must be fed the fuel and not suck the fuel from the tank. Meaning the outlet from the sump must be above the inlet of the pump. Also you should not pull the fuel out from the top utilizing the O.E.M. style sender. You also need an 80-100 micron filter between the sump and the pump, and a 10 micron filter after the pump.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Here is few pics of how I did mine.....

Looks to me like the pump is too high and too far forward. You need it below the pick up and I like it behind the tank so we donn't stall the fuel in the line on launch.

Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Looks to me like the pump is too high and too far forward. You need it below the pick up and I like it behind the tank so we donn't stall the fuel in the line on launch.

Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it
It could be an optical illusion from the photo. If you look at how high up the tank is mounted on that frame-work and the bottom of the pump appears to be at or near the trunk floor it may be okay. As far as the distance from the sump, that isn't as critical as the feed itself just as long as it's not too far away. Yes closer is better but this isn't all that bad, I've seen much worse.

He could reconfigure and place his 100 micron filter coming out of the tank and move the filter back like mine. He definitely has the room.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts