Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a '72 attempting to get the lower windshield trim removed. Have removed the cowl vent and the screws with the clips that hold the bottom of the trim, 3 per side. The outside end of the trim appears to be crimped round the top and bottom edge of the clip. Have removed the screw in the outside of the clip on the door jamb so the trim piece is lose. The clip will slide about a 1/4" either direction but no movement in the vertical direction. The outside of the trim is wrapped around the A pillar just enough to prevent the trim from sliding off the clip. Have searched the forum and have tried several different suggestions without success. Seems as the only solution is to remove the fenders, or bend the outside tab of the clip in the door jamb, neither of which seem to be a good option. Any help or suggestions on how to remove the trim would be appreciated. Thanks!
Bob

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,050 Posts
Yes, those outer clips for the lower windshield trim are a tight fit in by the fenders. I believe the trim was installed at the factory before the fenders were bolted onto the car.

I remember dealing with that on my '74 many years ago. Seems like I was able to loosen (but not completely remove) the upper / rear fender mounting bolts and carefully pull the top of the fender outward just enough to be able to remove the trim with those clips still attached. When loosening the bolts, be prepared to catch any shims that fall out and make note of their original locations. Also, put some masking tape on the fender to help reduce the chances of the trim and/or clip scratching the paint.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,282 Posts
What Ray said, I attempted removing the bottom trim and realized it was not going to be easy. I was removing my fenders anyway so I waited till they were off. Don't lose those end clips I heard the repop ones do not fit correctly or have the wrong angle to them. Just what I heard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What Ray said, I attempted removing the bottom trim and realized it was not going to be easy. I was removing my fenders anyway so I waited till they were off. Don't lose those end clips I heard the repop ones do not fit correctly or have the wrong angle to them. Just what I heard.
Thanks guys, I'll give a shot at fender loosing and see what happens. Appreciate the info. Will be sure to install prior to putting on the fenders when I get to that point.
Again, thanks!

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts