Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Could be something as simple as a loose wheel bearing or even a bad tire. Unless he could see the rim itself wobbling I would check the tire first. If the belts start to move around it will cause the tire to deform. You should be able to tell if it is the tire by jacking it up and rolling the wheel. Might be a bent rim also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I jacked up the car and checked compliance on the wheels. They felt fine, there was a little bit in the vertical plane, but it seems normal to me.

When I was driving that time I had a lot of slop in the steering, I have since adjusted the steering box to remove most of it. Could the slop have caused this? Also, it could be a bent rim or messed up tire. I am going to try and have someone else drive it while i watch to wheels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I jacked up the car and checked compliance on the wheels. They felt fine, there was a little bit in the vertical plane, but it seems normal to me.

When I was driving that time I had a lot of slop in the steering, I have since adjusted the steering box to remove most of it. Could the slop have caused this? Also, it could be a bent rim or messed up tire. I am going to try and have someone else drive it while i watch to wheels.

Thanks!
Yeah, I would thing loose steering could cause some wobble. That much where your buddy could see it but you didnt feel it so much I dont know. If he saw more than you were feeling then it is prolly outside of the steering joints, more to the hub and wheel. If it was steering you would feel and see it in the steering wheel, back and forth jerkyness (is that a word). But outward of the steering joints, hub, bearing, wheel and tire the steering gear would remove some of the wobble so you wouldnt feel it as much. But it could look bad for an observer. JR

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
There should not be a "little" play vertically- it should feel solid. Do you have beauty rings? Somtimes hubcaps and beauty rings make your wheels appear as if they wobble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.