Chevy Nova Forum banner

Front wheel size. 15x8?

11K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  75nova 
#1 ·
This may be a dumb question, I did some searching but couldn't find much for the 4th gen. I am looking to buy some wheels and tires for road racing.

What is the widest 15" that will fit in the front without rubbing? I have heard 15x8 may fit depending on the tire. Does anyone have any photos?

I am currently eyeing these wheels:

http://www.bassettwheel.com/dhole_asphalt.html

:)

#3 ·
15x8 will fit, get wheels with at least 4" of back spacing. Tire size will have to be determined by your taste. I know 245/60's fit easily. The front track on the 4th gens is 1 inch wider per side then the rear track. For that reason I am running 15x7 on the rear and 15x6 on the front both with 4" of back spacing and it makes the track width even. Tubular control arms that are 1 inch narrower are available and will allow for larger tires and wheels to be used and still keep them under the fenders.

#7 ·
I believe its because the non-dot wheels are lighter?

It is my understanding that a 15x8 with 4.5" backspace fits well in the rear. Should this fit ok in the front as well? I can see how it would be handy to have four wheels that are alike.

#9 · (Edited)
I'm running BFG 235/60 on 15" X 7" X4.25 "BS no trouble. If you want 8" you'll probably need 4.5" BS

Why 8" wide up front though? This going to be a dirt track car or something? A 7" wide rim can fit a pretty good size tire without looking balooney.

Edit: must be tired, that a 7" up front with 4.25 BS and 8" in the back with 4.5 BS.

#13 · (Edited)
You really should measure, taking advice is OK but in the end you have to live with your decisions. I would bolt a rim up to the front before mounting any tires and have look see. Try to envision the tire on it and see how well the rim is centered. I really don't think like a lot of stuff all BS is consistent manufacture to manufacture even though it should be.

I took some pics for you, remember these are 15 X 7 X 4.25 BS up front w/ 235/60 tires. Rear.... 15 X 8 X 4.5 BS 275/60 tires.

#17 ·
The most they had was 4" backspace without paying extra, so that's what I went with. I would have preferred a little more, but it wasn't cheap. It may fit better for someone else, my car is pretty darn low in the front.

With a 225 front tire I doubt it would be an issue.

#19 ·
My 76

Hey guys,

I like these rims and I think I might get a set. Right now I have a set of rims from a 2003 Z06 Corvette. I had to use spacers and such and honestly it makes me a bit nervous. the fronts are 245/45/17's and the rear's are 275/40/18's. I had to cut the fender lips I little in the back to make it fit. I'd post a picture but can't figure out how.

Any way I was thinking 15x10's in the back with 275/50's? and 15x7 up front with maybe 225/60. I think 4 inches of back spacing front and rear would work ok with no rubbing? I want the wheel wells full and the car is not currently lowered but I am thinking of dropping it an inch front and back eventually. will this work or is hte backspacing a little off?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.