Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while installing my new oil pan (old one ate a rock...) on my 66 mordoor I noticed some feathering on the inside of my passenger front tire. Same wear pattern as my old tires, not shocked.

That said, the tires are basically new, probably have less than 1000 miles on them. I had the vehicle aligned before I bought them and replaced tie-rod ends and ball joints because they needed it badly. The only thing I didn't do was control arm bushings.

I've read plenty online saying that the old novas don't hold their alignment very well and that the lower control arm geometry is "less than optimal" to be kind.

This all has me going down the path of suspension upgrade to stop the wear and make the thing more enjoyable to drive because it's a massive pig doing anything but going straight. I'd love the car to handle better and I'm torn between the very approachably priced CPP stuff and the insanely well reviewed CBR stuff.

To be blunt, price is making me shy away from the CBR parts and leaning toward something like the CPP mini subframe. I know this same story has played out before on here but I couldn't find anything recent and I understand that with aftermarket stuff like this things can change quickly as the product is updated.

I would love to casually autoX the car at some point in the future and hit the drag strip every now and then but I really can't see it ever being a hardcore track car and frankly the CBR stuff seems a little overkill for what I have in mind even if you set the price aside.

That said, I read that the CBR stuff offers way better adjustability than the CPP one does and that some of the CPP folks have had issues getting a proper alignment due to the geometry (I don't know, just what I've read and those threads are like 8 years old every time I find them so no point trying to revive them.)

My thought is that for the price of the CBR lowers I can get the CPP lowers and uppers. For $1000 I can get the CPP uppers, lowers, and the springs and shocks from Summit vs about $1800 for the same-ish parts from CBR.

I still need to do a front sway bar if I expect any of this to pay off from a corning enjoyment standpoint so the price break of CPP is attractive.

I guess at this point I'm looking for someone to either encourage my thriftiness and share a testimonial on the CCP stuff or slap me silly and convince me I need to rethink the budget and just get the CBR stuff...

Sorry for the long-ish ranting post, hopefully someone gets me going down the right path... And hopefully that path involves corners!

Thanks in advance,

hotrod

·
Registered
10 Posts
I feel your pain on the pricing. I just put in my order for the CBR stuff because I think the long term usage is going to pay off. In other words, sometimes with modification, the process never stops. I'm hoping the CBR stuff will be a long term upgrade to what they should have done at the factory. Don't get me wrong, I just dropped $4600 on disc brakes and the CBR setup and I had to grit my teeth a bit to go ahead and do it. I drew the line at the adjustable coil overs. The other reason I went ahead and did it is that I haven't read about a single issue with the CBR upgrades.

I looked at the CPP stuff and I didn't have any particular issues with it but the tested performance of the CBR stuff can't be denied. One more note, Chuck from CBR is like having 24x7 tech support.

I know none of that was helpful but just wanted to share my thought process having just been in your position.

So while installing my new oil pan (old one ate a rock...) on my 66 mordoor I noticed some feathering on the inside of my passenger front tire. Same wear pattern as my old tires, not shocked.

That said, the tires are basically new, probably have less than 1000 miles on them. I had the vehicle aligned before I bought them and replaced tie-rod ends and ball joints because they needed it badly. The only thing I didn't do was control arm bushings.

I've read plenty online saying that the old novas don't hold their alignment very well and that the lower control arm geometry is "less than optimal" to be kind.

This all has me going down the path of suspension upgrade to stop the wear and make the thing more enjoyable to drive because it's a massive pig doing anything but going straight. I'd love the car to handle better and I'm torn between the very approachably priced CPP stuff and the insanely well reviewed CBR stuff.

To be blunt, price is making me shy away from the CBR parts and leaning toward something like the CPP mini subframe. I know this same story has played out before on here but I couldn't find anything recent and I understand that with aftermarket stuff like this things can change quickly as the product is updated.

I would love to casually autoX the car at some point in the future and hit the drag strip every now and then but I really can't see it ever being a hardcore track car and frankly the CBR stuff seems a little overkill for what I have in mind even if you set the price aside.

That said, I read that the CBR stuff offers way better adjustability than the CPP one does and that some of the CPP folks have had issues getting a proper alignment due to the geometry (I don't know, just what I've read and those threads are like 8 years old every time I find them so no point trying to revive them.)

My thought is that for the price of the CBR lowers I can get the CPP lowers and uppers. For $1000 I can get the CPP uppers, lowers, and the springs and shocks from Summit vs about $1800 for the same-ish parts from CBR.

I still need to do a front sway bar if I expect any of this to pay off from a corning enjoyment standpoint so the price break of CPP is attractive.

I guess at this point I'm looking for someone to either encourage my thriftiness and share a testimonial on the CCP stuff or slap me silly and convince me I need to rethink the budget and just get the CBR stuff...

Sorry for the long-ish ranting post, hopefully someone gets me going down the right path... And hopefully that path involves corners!

Thanks in advance,

hotrod

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have never run Church Boys parts but if I was going to keep a stock style clip I would certainly call them. I chose to clip my car and would do it again but the reputation Church Boys carry isn't by accident.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
The one thing you forgot is steering. CBR offers a power rack and pinion, and also just brought electric power steering to market...CBR's components are a complete system, designed to work together with minimal installation problems, very well thought out....

Spend some time in the vendor section below.....you'll see..

With the CBR parts you can do it in phases, lowers, uppers, steering, etc.....all the while driving your car to measure the improvements. All CBR parts are made in the USA, not so with the other option....and Chuck answers his own phone....these are Nova guys, and they get it....

Here's an observation for you....I have never heard one person say they were sorry they installed CBR components on their car....not one.....

Do yourself a favor, spend once, get the best quality parts and never look back, you won't be sorry, I promise you....

T,

·
Registered
133 Posts
No Bashing

I will not bash CPP but you will be happier spending the extra money and getting the CBR setup. Built in America with quality materials by Nova folks. I labored over the money for a long time before deciding to go whit the CBR package. When I took it to the alignment shop, and told the guy I had an aftermarket suspension setup, he said, I can't guarantee the normal price for alignment because some of these systems are terrible to align. I gave him the specs and said go for it. He came back in 20 minutes with a smile and said that is one nice setup. Chuck knows what he is doing and you will not have any remorse for spending the little extra it takes to go first class.
IMO

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone. It's nice to have such an overwhelming confirmation of essentially what I already thought.

Sounds like CBR is the right route and spending once is going to be cheaper than spending twice to do it right...

I'll browse the vendor section a bit and familiarize with some more of their offerings. I've been browsing their website so far but it is pretty limited and doesn't seem to be all that current. I do a lot of this "shopping" (daydreaming until I finally convince myself it's time for a purchase) at night or periodically throughout the day so I'll need to set aside some time to actually call and talk to them.

I gather that giving them a call seems to be the preferred method but out of curiosity do they have an email or does PM'ing on here work as well?

Thanks again for your feedback!

hotrod

·
Registered
133 Posts
Call Chuck

Call Chuck and talk to him. He answers the phone, as weird as that sounds. He will answer all your questions and give you all the information you need.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If he doesn't answer right away, leave a message, he will get back to you. He works a regular job and sometimes 12 hours a day.....

If you wish to email, send to [email protected]

His phone is 330-442-7162

T,
Brilliant, thank you Tom.

I'll probably end up sending him a note today. I figure we'd end up playing phone tag anyway. It's easier for me to gather my thoughts and questions into an email than to make a call.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've sent them an email with a bunch of questions and trying to explain the plan I'm hatching. I'm looking forward to hearing back.

A couple things I asked Chuck but figured I could also probably ask here though:

• What are some swaybar kits that will be compatable with their parts and ultimately their R&P kit down the road? (I have no swaybars currently)
  • Does anyone have a suggestion for a good set of budget minded shocks to run with factory springs? (I want coilovers but their stuff is too pricey for me right now and I can't seem to find any alternatives online...)
  • Is it safe to assume that any of the poly bushing kits will be adequate for rebuilding my uppers?

Thanks again for your help and feedback.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I've sent them an email with a bunch of questions and trying to explain the plan I'm hatching. I'm looking forward to hearing back.

A couple things I asked Chuck but figured I could also probably ask here though:

• What are some swaybar kits that will be compatable with their parts and ultimately their R&P kit down the road? (I have no swaybars currently)
  • Does anyone have a suggestion for a good set of budget minded shocks to run with factory springs? (I want coilovers but their stuff is too pricey for me right now and I can't seem to find any alternatives online...)
  • Is it safe to assume that any of the poly bushing kits will be adequate for rebuilding my uppers?

Thanks again for your help and feedback.
CBR sells a sway bar also.
Any good shocks should work, Monroe etc...
Yes, look at energy suspension, they make good stuff...

T,

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CBR sells a sway bar also.
Any good shocks should work, Monroe etc...
Yes, look at energy suspension, they make good stuff...

T,
Sweet. I asked about the sway bar in my note to Chuck but they don't seem to have it listed separately on their site so I wasn't sure.

I appreciate the feedback on the other pieces. I guess it's time to start getting a shopping list together!

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Sweet. I asked about the sway bar in my note to Chuck but they don't seem to have it listed separately on their site so I wasn't sure.

I appreciate the feedback on the other pieces. I guess it's time to start getting a shopping list together!
And also time to get a build thread started. Really helps the membership see what you are doing, especially when any issues come up......besides, we like looking at pictures..... :yes:

T,

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For "spirited" driving, I've always had good luck with KYB shocks. Usually easy to find and reasonably priced.
Good recommendation, I'll check them out. I don't plan on autoX-ing to work every day but I do love some spirited driving (especially since my clutch is about broken in and I can start getting after it.)

I'm really just looking forward to not feeling like I'm going to knock the mirror off on the road while turning... The body roll right now is a bit insane! lol

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi Guys

For me its all about customer service, I have brought parts from both company's and had a issue with both, one company fobbed me off and told me I would have to buy a new part as shipping the old part back and the new part out would be too expensive!. (Part not working) The other company shipped a new part straight away ( Part supplied wrong And it wasn't a small part either) no questions no drama just posted straight away. Ill leave you guys to guess which company did what.

Cheers Ian:uk:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spoke with Chuck SR (I think) yesterday. I'm going that route.

I like the fact that they live for these cars and once I ran the numbers, the CPP kit isn't actually that much more expensive and I know there would be a part of me that would cringe every time I had it aligned that the tech was going to come back and say that they've maxed out an adjustment and can't get it any closer like I've read about with all the other sub frame kits.

At this point I'm doing the lowers and rebuilding the stock uppers for now. He said they're a few weeks out on having stock so I have a little time anyway.

Question is regarding the sway bar, the CBR piece looks nice based on the instructions I found on their site but it's $275 according to my call this week. Are there other sway bars on the market that will work with the CBR lowers and eventually their rack and pinion setup?

If I opted to save $100+ and go with something like this would I be able to keep upgrading the CBR stuff with it or would it need to go?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hel-5718

Thanks in advance for your continued help, I'm stoked to get some cornering fun on order!

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
You have made a good choice, you won't regret your decision...

As to the sway bar, you could probably make that one work, but no guarantees. Some folks have made other sway bars work, but by the time you spend the money to adapt one, you could just save up and purchase the CBR sway bar.

You could always get the front end on and pick up the sway bar later.

T,

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You have made a good choice, you won't regret your decision...

As to the sway bar, you could probably make that one work, but no guarantees. Some folks have made other sway bars work, but by the time you spend the money to adapt one, you could just save up and purchase the CBR sway bar.

You could always get the front end on and pick up the sway bar later.

T,
Chuck said basically the same thing but second opinions are always good. I think you're probably right, why reinvent the wheel when they've obviously put serious work into designing their stuff.

I just figured it the other factory style ones happened to be a straight bolt in then it was worth a look.

I'll give them a call this weekend or next week and get the order placed. Hopefully I'll have made up my mind on the sway bar by then.

Thanks again for all your help, I never like making large purchases without being confident and you folks have certainly helped in that regard!

hotrod

1 - 20 of 78 Posts