Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang. Thinking of upgrading my control arms with afco ball joints and global west bushings. What are you guys' experiences with these products? Should I be looking at something else? Don't really have the scratch for complete control arms.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 60fts are in the low 1.6 to high 1.5 range and I think it can do better. That's off a foot brake. I haven't used the trans brake...yet. Not 100% sure on my stall speed, I've been building the car over several years and the trans/converter was used. Engine is a 496 solid roller 11:1 with dart 310cc heads, rear is a 35spline 9" with a locker and 3.70's. Tire is a 28x9x15.

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
252 Posts
My 60fts are in the low 1.6 to high 1.5 range and I think it can do better. That's off a foot brake. I haven't used the trans brake...yet. Not 100% sure on my stall speed, I've been building the car over several years and the trans/converter was used. Engine is a 496 solid roller 11:1 with dart 310cc heads, rear is a 35spline 9" with a locker and 3.70's. Tire is a 28x9x15.
What are you using for front shocks? Maybe some 90/10's would help.
Leaving on the brake should also decrease your 60' time as long as it hooks.
Put the car on jack stands, engage the t/brake and put it to the wood. Then you'll know your stall speed.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a 2 step yet, so I haven't hooked up the brake. I have some cheap 90/10 shocks up front that probably need replaced. Combo is pretty new, so I know I have some work to do. Only got to run it once last year. I was happy with my baseline, but I've budgeted for some improvements this year and front suspension is on my list.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm just going to ask a bunch of questions. What is the car running right now? What rpm do you shift at and what do you cross at? Is this a 2 or 3 speed? What spring do you have up front? Making the front control arms as loose as you can is helpful but it is important to know first, if the car is geared right, if the converter is right, and how far off the 60' time is from the ET.

I never ran anything more that stock rubber bushings and ball joints in my car with Moroso trick springs and Comp Engineering 3 way shocks. I went 1.28 in 60' with that junk. Later on I upgraded to Strange single adjustable front shocks and with more power went low 1.20's.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front springs are moroso trick springs (heaviest set) with 1 coil removed. Shocks are cheap summit 3 ways set to 90/10 (old). Gear is a 3.70, shift around 6500. Transmission is a 3spd. Weight is 3200 with me in it. 60ft 1.58. 28x9x15 m/t tire. Stock leaf with caltrac. Rancho rear shocks. Et was 6.98 @98mph 1/8 mile.

I raced the car with a 355 and nitrous about 10yrs ago, 4.56 gear and 4000rpm converter got me to about this same place. I spent the better part of this decade getting parts and building this 496/th400/3.70 combo. All I got done last year were a few shakedown runs. There's a lot of potential left here. I appreciate the systemic approach, but I haven't tuned this combo yet at all. I'm not asking anyone to sort out my combo. All I'm asking is if these bushings/ball joints are a good fit for drag use.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Front springs are moroso trick springs (heaviest set) with 1 coil removed. Shocks are cheap summit 3 ways set to 90/10 (old). Gear is a 3.70, shift around 6500. Transmission is a 3spd. Weight is 3200 with me in it. 60ft 1.58. 28x9x15 m/t tire. Stock leaf with caltrac. Rancho rear shocks. Et was 6.98 @98mph 1/8 mile.

I raced the car with a 355 and nitrous about 10yrs ago, 4.56 gear and 4000rpm converter got me to about this same place. I spent the better part of this decade getting parts and building this 496/th400/3.70 combo. All I got done last year were a few shakedown runs. There's a lot of potential left here. I appreciate the systemic approach, but I haven't tuned this combo yet at all. I'm not asking anyone to sort out my combo. All I'm asking is if these bushings/ball joints are a good fit for drag use.
I think you should have the 250 rate springs which some people think are too stiff for a car of your weight. Mine were worn out but worked ok in my car with more power. The bushings you are asking about will be a good fit making the arms very loose. If they are tight, that is slowing the front end movement of the car as well not allowing transfer to the rear tire. The shocks, well that's hard to say if the front end is restricted. If the shock is not the restriction, there is no need to play with that yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just put the global west del-a-lum bushings on my stock lower control arms and installed their drag race upper control arms which include the del-a-lums. I'm very happy with them although I haven't been to the track yet to see if there's any improvement. They seem like quality pieces. I also swapped out old drums for a wilwood disk setup, which prompted the complete redo. I already had calvert 90/10's.

I'm not really expecting much if any improvement in 60 ft, I just wanted to upgrade brakes and get rid of my squeeky bushings, plus lost a little weight.

I think you could benefit from the bushings if you're all stock now. My front was as loose as I could get it with stock bushings but not the best way to do it.

Also check your upward travel by jacking the front of the car and measuring how far it rises before the tires move off the ground. You want minimum 5 inches.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I just put the global west del-a-lum bushings on my stock lower control arms and installed their drag race upper control arms which include the del-a-lums. I'm very happy with them although I haven't been to the track yet to see if there's any improvement. They seem like quality pieces. I also swapped out old drums for a wilwood disk setup, which prompted the complete redo. I already had calvert 90/10's.

I'm not really expecting much if any improvement in 60 ft, I just wanted to upgrade brakes and get rid of my squeeky bushings, plus lost a little weight.

I think you could benefit from the bushings if you're all stock now. My front was as loose as I could get it with stock bushings but not the best way to do it.

Also check your upward travel by jacking the front of the car and measuring how far it rises before the tires move off the ground. You want minimum 5 inches.
I have the Del a Lum bushings and powdercoated stock upper control arms. I also put some Prothane rear shackles tightening the nut while spinning the bolt back and forth till I felt any resistance. Basically getting only the end play out of the shackle bolts. I'm confident they will work as well as the sliders do. Also running 90/10 shocks up front, split monos rear and Caltrac bars.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Unless front end slop helps with drag racing the Del-a-lums will improve things about the only downside I can think of is they may not mask the limitations of the stock nova geometry.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I set up my car with Afco low friction ball joints and solid control arm bushings. I made the front sway bar a quick disconnect.(The front should move freely).I installed Calvert Racing 90/10 front shocks. I have 5.5” of front end travel which is also important. I shaved the bump stops down to achieve this. Once you start going up in power, you can start tightening things up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts