Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a conversion kit from C2O to convert my '79 350 engine to a front sump. I haven't disassembled the engine yet but got to thinking about the possibility that it might not be rebuildable and that it might be cheaper to just buy a short block but I haven't been able to find a front sump engine and most likely will not find one.

If I elect to buy a rear sump short block and convert it to a front sump will it affect the warranty? Anyone know a company that will not void the warranty if I convert it to a front sump?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Call ATK engines. When I was looking at doing a crate engine for a Mustang, Brandon was willing to put on whatever pan and combination I needed. I think the catalog setups were for a fox body mustang but I needed a pan setup for a 67. I am sure if you make it known what car it is going in, they can build the engine for your application.

·
Registered
985 Posts
You can put a front sump pan and oil pump/pick up tube on a 350 but the oil pump will need to be clearance ground for the larger crankshaft. Ask your engine builder:yes:

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the whole kit which I think has a Melling Oil Pump that will clear without any modification. Notice I wrote "I think". I haven't opened the box in a couple of years but I'm almost sure the oil pump was included.

This mod requires me to remove one main bearing cap bolt to install a bolt with a stud which allows the pickup tube to be secured. I guess I'll have to get on the phone and call around to see if removing that one cap bolt to install the kit bolt/stud will void the warranty. I thought someone might have been through this process and could give me a heads up on what to expect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts