Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, I just bought two 74 novas that i planned to use as donor cars for my current 74 and noticed that one of them has a much better body, especially the quarter panels. the donor car has no front subframe. what do i need to consider before swapping the subframe from one to the other. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just got done swapping a sub from a 72 to a 71. The only thing I ran into was both subs I had looked good on, but when I removed it the mounts were shot. Was not that hard to fix and they do sell plates that weld on top. I just fabricates some. Overall the job is simple just a pain to do by yourself. Also while you have the sub out think about putting poly bushings instead of those rubbers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks. didnt look that hard but i wasnt sure about getting everything straight. :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
you can run a level across and down the side to make sure straight but for the most part once all bolts are in place you will find there will be little movement of the subframe. I dont believe there is a way to make the subframe so out of wack that the car wont drive straight. Godd luck and have fun.

·
6,560 Posts
There are some 5/8" holes in the firewall base frame brackets to the outside of the bushings. These are used to line up with a hole on the firewall base.
Take a 5/8" dowel or a long bolt to see how well the existing frame is in alignment and use that as a reference for when the new on is put into place.
If you get long enough bolts or dowels then with both in place you should be able to sight from one side of the car to the other and see if they are square with each other.
I agree too with using new frame to body and frame to radiator support bushings. I went with the poly graphite ones from PST and while PST "thinks" they fit 1974 Nova's you will need a 1/2" spacer on the firewall base ones (or get a set of spacers off of a 69-72 model). If you don't put this spacer in the front end sheet metal will not line up properly.

Jim

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
will this work

Hi, I have a1979 nova with a great front end sub frame all new disc brakes ball joints ect. & I want to put it on a1970 body will this work
. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP Larry Mc

·
3,876 Posts
No. Two different subframes and they don't cross between generations (68-74 and 75-79).

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
my luck

Thanks ,for getting back that fast Just my luck I have the 79 as a play Toy ,,( Drag car) ,, foot brake runs in the low 7 & really don't need a drag toy . wanted to put together a driver
. Thanks Again LarryMc

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
It can be done. I had a 71 with a 79 subframe. The guy I got the car from was a great fabricator. Rad support and inner fenders had most of the work. The front bumper brackets were custom made. I had this car before my 68. Also the front wheels were an inch more out than usual due to the wider track width. Used to blow people away having a 71 with front steer. Here's the car: Later. Mark!

·
Registered
39 Posts
so will a 73 subframe fit a 69 firebird without the spacers mentioned above??

Are there differences between camaro/nova sub frames from 67-69 camaros and 68-74 novas??

Thanks
Tim

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Anyone ever used the aluminum subframe spacers sold by **** Guldstrand http://www.guldstrand.com/? I believe they are 1/2 inch thick, which is thinner than the oem stuff I think. That would move the frame closer to the body and lower the front of the car without lowering the suspension. The only problem with that I would think would be that the engine would actually be closer to the hood than before which might be A problem for tall intakes or carb spacers. The aluminum spacers would definately decrease body flex but probably would increase vibration to the interior.

Tommy:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can buy the same height as stock or go with the 1/2" shorter. Many places sell them. I had a friend machine me a set (1/2" shorter"). I will be running a cowl hood so height isn't an issue there, trans "700r4" is. This is a BB car so the motor is offset. I had to "dimple" the passenger floor pan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts