Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
63 Nova, 350, 700r4, chevelle disc brakes otherwise stock. Two questions, 300 miles on V8 rated spicer front coil springs already bowing so they are now rubbing against shock tower cover. Am leaning towards getting new ones any recommendations? Also, converted to power steering 100 miles on that and no matter how tight the belt is it squeals when turning left and right. Any ideas, am going to try a gates belt next. The crank pulley is 6 3/4 and the pump pulley is 5 3/4. Is that the ratio I should be using? Any ideas on the causes of the squealing? It is a new Borgeson system and pump. I love the conversion and steering action but hate the squealing. I am hoping that the Gates belt might makes a difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,104 Posts
I'd try squirting the belt while someone turns the wheel to see if it's actually the belt and pulleys. If it is, the belt dressing would do it, or there's a glaze on the pulley surfaces. Knock off the glaze, new belt, and you should be good.

The squeal could be coming from the pump itself, so that might be the issue.

Those CBR guys....

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the great tips. Will try belt dressing first before changing the belt. I will do the process of elimination before considering a new pump, I do have one extra pump on the shelf that is ready just in case. Hoping it is not the case cause it is a messy project. Am considering going with Moog springs but waiting for recommendations. Also I am saving for CBR lower arms.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Thanks for all the great tips. Will try belt dressing first before changing the belt. I will do the process of elimination before considering a new pump, I do have one extra pump on the shelf that is ready just in case. Hoping it is not the case cause it is a messy project. Am considering going with Moog springs but waiting for recommendations. Also I am saving for CBR lower arms.
Belt dressing will stop temporarily then ruin your belt. Do not use belt dressing ( from experience) Instead install new tight belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts