Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to install front shocks on a 67 nova? also what decent shocks would you recommend ? Really appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Whats the best way to install front shocks on a 67 nova? also what decent shocks would you recommend ? Really appreciate the help.
I posed that question myself.. I'd like to know what would be the best shock also..

·
Registered
309 Posts
I took mine out through the top after removing the tower, only because I didn't think they would go out the bottom

·
Registered
23 Posts
I remove them out the top by pulling the towers after removing the lower stud nuts as stated above. One tip for re-installing is to tack the upper rubber washers to the lower studs of the new shocks with a thin layer of thumb gum or similar tacky putty so that you can carefully lower the shock and tower down through the spring and right onto the perch without having to squeze your fingers through the coils to place the washers as you drop the shock studs through the spring perch.

As far as type of shock, it would depend on your intended use for the car.

Hope this helps!
DH

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
If you remove the shock towers they are not symmetrical on the 62-67. The "manufacturers mark" stamped on the tower goes outboard, towards the outside of the car when you put it back together. If reversed they put a small bind on the shocks. Most mechanics don't catch this during repair and many are reversed.

I used some Monroe shocks on the front MON LE10016. That was a few years ago they were "Limited Edition" . Now I see Monroe makes a standard Sensatrac for the front of the Chevy II. I guess part suppliers see enough of a market in some of these old cars now.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I used to have edelbrock performer shocks on my 67...way to stiff for my taste..a good autocross shock.I now have monroe sensa-trac shocks.The give a very nice smooth ride.For $25 each they can't be beat.go to their website...they have a shockfinder program to find the right shocks for your car.bm

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Please tell me where you saw the info. I can't find it in the manuals and can't find any markings on the shock towers. I don't mean to argue but if I have them on wrong I want to correct them. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
That must be unique for 66 & 67. That is not in the 1st gen books. If anybody has more info on this let me know. I can't find those marks on my towers. I have a 64

·
Registered
23 Posts
That must be unique for 66 & 67. That is not in the 1st gen books. If anybody has more info on this let me know. I can't find those marks on my towers. I have a 64
I have a 63 and what is supposed to be the 1963 assembly manual although there are references to V-8's. I found the reference on page 31 or so and it was note #8. I do also have the stamps on my towers on the car facing outward although prior to this thread I had no idea about this. Maybe it has to do with OE towers and reproduction or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts