Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not very smart about brakes. I can upgrade from my front drum brakes to front manual disk brakes. Right? How much better is manual front disk brakes over the older/stock drum brakes??????

My Nova is a 63 but has already been converted over to 5 wheel studs when I bought the car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Manual front disc brakes are not as good as power disc brakes but are a great improvement over drum brakes. I just put the manual disc brakes on my 65 nova and am very happy with them. Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I converted mine and it was one of the best upgrades I have ever done to my car. Stops great and the pedal pressure isn't an issue. My 70 Camaro came with manual disks; a friend of mine had a 74 442 with manual disks. Some people will tell you they aren't that great, of course they also spend 15grand on wheels or paint.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Nope it will hve to be changed. I ordered a manual disk brake master cylinder for a 70 Camaroa and it worked fine. You need to upgrade to dual line anyway, much safer

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
You can use a drum/drum master cylinder with a disc/drum combo. All you need to do is take the check valve out of the existing master cylinder. That's what I did with mine, and it stops good.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
All you need to do is take the check valve out of the existing master cylinder. That's what I did with mine, and it stops good.
I had heard that; but didn't want say without being sure about it.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Nova_Guy said:
I had heard that; but didn't want say without being sure about it.
Some guy's install inline check valves, but I don't think it's necessary. If you wish to, Wilwood makes them. You would need to plumb them into the front and rear lines. For the front disc line, it would need a 2LB, and the rear would need a 10LB.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Bucs01 said:
So this one will work just fine by making that minor change of taking the check valve out of the existing master cylinder?

Here is what I have now for a master cylinder on the firewall with the gold cap on it.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brooksept/detail?.dir=5e7b&.dnm=79a4.jpg&.src=ph
I forgot 63's had single masters. You need to go to a dual reservoir master and you're gonna need to plumb a new front brake line. You can either buy a 67 master cylinder, and take out the check valve, or you can buy a 67-76 corvette manual brake master cylinder, and plumb a 10LB check valve in the rear brake line. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Please explain a little more

From UndercvrSS:

I forgot 63's had single masters. You need to go to a dual reservoir master and you're gonna need to plumb a new front brake line. You can either buy a 67 master cylinder, and take out the check valve, or you can buy a 67-76 corvette manual brake master cylinder, and plumb a 10LB check valve in the rear brake line. Sorry for the confusion.
What does remove the check valve mean? and plumb a 10 lb check valve. I have a 63 with the single master and all drums? I would like to convert as well, but am confused with all the options and prices. Can I add the dual master and then later add the disks? My 63 stops like an old 10 speed. Should I add a power set up? I do not mind the manual brakes, I just want it to stop faster and safer. Is the 67 or the corvette better?

Obviously I am a newbee to this stuff

nebraska rod

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya, I pretty much putt around in my single master cylinder 63 with dual drum brakes. Hey it worked just fine in the 60's but it sure is a shock to go from driving my 2005 truck to my 63 Nova. I kind of like knowing that I am driving an old car though with old brakes. Ya know? They have all been gone through so operating wise they are in great shape. Just not great technology.;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes you can convert to dual master cylinder and run the same drums in the front. If a brake cylinder were to blow you would loose all brakes with a single system. Using the dual system, mandated in 67, gives you the safety of having either front or back brakes if something was to go wrong. When you add the dual system you need to plug the T" at the passenger side front brake where it goes to the rear. Then run a new rear line from the MC (this is one way to do).

However a master built for disc/drum will not work for drum/drum becuase it needs the check valve (the one that is removed for Disc/drum use. Use a master for a 67 you can usually pick them up for $35 or so. I may still have mine if your interested pm me.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
nebraskarod said:
From UndercvrSS:

What does remove the check valve mean? and plumb a 10 lb check valve. I have a 63 with the single master and all drums? I would like to convert as well, but am confused with all the options and prices. Can I add the dual master and then later add the disks? My 63 stops like an old 10 speed. Should I add a power set up? I do not mind the manual brakes, I just want it to stop faster and safer. Is the 67 or the corvette better?

Obviously I am a newbee to this stuff

nebraska rod
there is an internal check valve inside the stock 67 master cylinder. If you go to a 67 master, install front manual disc brakes, with drum rear. you need to take apart the master, and take out the check valve. If you go with the Corvette master, it is set up as a 4 wheel disc brake master. With that you would need to install a 10LB check valve in the rear brake line. the Corvette master is a larger bore, but both will work fine. Hope this clears some things up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts