Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get my daughter's '64 up and running again. I've got stock steering and drum brakes. went to change out the front bearings and can't get the bearing races pressed into the hubs completely. First is there something I'm doing wrong? I don't have an arbor press, but have never really needed one for this kind of job. Second, is there anywhere I can buy new hubs for this car? I can't find them anywhere?
thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
3,894 Posts
Each of the races you have tried to press in won't go in all the way to the stops in the hub? Might have to check the numbers on the race against other known good numbers. Assuming the hubs aren't damaged by burrs or other obstruction, it sounds strange. What did you use to take the old ones out?

Are the new ones not going in at all, or stopping part way?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The back race went in all the way, buy there is about 1/8" gap between the bearings and the seal. I'm scared to press the seal any further. The front race has around 3/16" sticking out of the cast hub and just won't go further. I checked both seats for burs, knicks, and blemishes and all was good. I'm pretty sure they're the right bearings. Got them at Oreily's and I always look over their shoulder when they're looking up parts numbers.(learned that the hard way long ago)

I haven't pulled the other side yet, so I plan on taking it out and checking the location of the races against what I'm getting on the new races.

Each of the races you have tried to press in won't go in all the way to the stops in the hub? Might have to check the numbers on the race against other known good numbers. Assuming the hubs aren't damaged by burrs or other obstruction, it sounds strange. What did you use to take the old ones out?

Are the new ones not going in at all, or stopping part way?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts