Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I go again. I decided to go ahead and mount my front hubs on the spindles for roll a rounds for the time being as I'm going to be putting discs on later in the build and ran into what you see in the photos. I was thinking the hub would pull up closer to the base of the spindle but this is as far as they will go. Looking at the crown nut with a cotter pin installed, it looks like the hub is pulled to where it should be. Is there suppose to be that big of a gap?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
May-be

Have you installed the other side ?

Meaning : the inner bearing will only slide onto the spindle - so far.

But that area of your spindle might be 'machined more' .............. so, does that make sense .

If you still have the other 'Hub & Bearing' apart --- you can check, by installing just the rear(inner) bearing on your spindle -- and see where/how far/the bearing sits when it bottoms-out (get-it).

That leaves , some spindles "machined" more than others == some may have a gap - some not.

(other than that Man -- I Don't Know ........)

but - it sounded Really Good --- :D

If your 'hub & bearings install correctly , and, the outer nut tightens correctly .............. I'd say u'r golden.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
You have all the information in front of you to figure this out. The spindle should have a step in it that the inner/rear bearing bottoms out on.. Then the dust seal rides on the larger diameter step.. The bearing leans on the shoulder and the spindle nut holds the hub in place against the outer bearing. If you removed the bearing races from the hub and didn’t completely seat the inner bearing race in the hub then the hub may not be positioned all the way back on the spindle.. if you don’t think it’s sitting correctly you’ll have to pull it apart and check that all the parts are positioned properly..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Sam ...... Where th' Beef .......

or - in u'r case " where's the (brake backing) plate .
you should have a backing plate that goes on there that will take some of that 'gap' up , even with (drum brakes or disc brakes). with a small thin 'backing plate gasket & metal backing plate .. then the wheel-hub.

? ? ? ... :eek:

This is a Test ........... only a Test ............ now back to your Regular build. lol

look at the " Backing Plate"

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks to you guys for making me think about this. More and more lately I get caught up in what I perceive to be a problem when there really isn't one. That space was another one of those that really was staring me in the face and I didn't think it through long enough.

Yes, that space is partially taken up by the old brake backing plate that is held on by the knuckle bar bolts and a big bolt at the top. It slides over the raised part at the very inner surface that is exposed in the photos. I don't know why I didn't think about that. All of the exposed area is inside the brake drum and backing plate so not a lot of trash can get into that area. I will not be installing the backing plate since I won't need it later on.

Anyway, since at some point in time I'll be taking those hubs off to install a zero-offset CPP disc brake system, I'll just coat the area with some bearing grease, wrap a paper towel around it and secure it with a zip tie. The hubs are only going to be roll arounds until I get the Nova back into my garage.

Please stay with me guys as my old brain seems to be steering me out into left field more and more here lately.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
anytime , buddy

but, you made me have to think ........ some.

or ............... you just wanted me to post up that picture ............
either way -- we're still Good ====== &, I'm not that kinda guy .. :confused: lol

by-th'-way -- Flickr sure IS working Great for me (so, now they are going to start charging for 'accounts with more than a 1,000 pictures).

Keep those questions coming .....:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, I know Jim. You and Joe have been there many times for me and I appreciate all of you guys that are trying to help me make this happen. Before it's all over I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions. Hey, from the guys that are looking, it's gotta be helping them also. Thanks, Sam

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Yes sir ....

This is a good Post ..... ask a question ..... then get some guys thinking ..... then , you get an answer.

throw out a couple of pic's ...... we all get too learn

SNS -- it works

:yes: (we're waiting for more ? ? ? , tomorrow ....).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts