Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to remove the passenger front fender and 1 last bolt wont cooperate.
The hole that is in the screw in the pic is a hole that i drilled with a titanium bit that is now broken off in the hole.

Ive tried gripping the backside of the screw that is spinning in the fender but its so far into the fender I cant get a good grip while trying to back the screw out.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
That one breaks off all the time. The only way that I have been able to get to it, is to go from inside the fenderwell and put a wrench on it. I think if you clean the rust off you can get nice square edges and hold it with an open end. But I have also had to bend the headlight mudbucket down and get in there with locking pliers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Try putting a nut on top of the broken off piece and weld the nut to the broken bolt. I've done this a few times and the heat seems to break loose the broken piece.

I've also heated the bolt and then touch it with a candle. The wax will sweat around the bolt and it should come out.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill give another shot at reaching into the fender well, blindly scrub with a small wirebrush, blindly spray more pb blaster in there, and see if i cant get a crescent wrench on that nut. Its a square nut thats in there right? Hard to tell with all the dirt and rust and whatever else is caked around it.

No torches in the toolbox..coming soon i expect.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yep, its a square nut that was attached to a piece of sheetmetal. The rust kills the sheetmetal and then the stupid thing just spins.

I have also seen someone put a sawsall inbetween the sheetmetal and cut the bolt. But it will just spin most of the time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a couple like this on mine. I cleaned the area really well of all crud & grime and used PB Blaster. Tap the nut/bolt after each application several times to help the penitrate get in. On the stuborn ones, I'd do this several times a day and gently worked them a part. Sometimes took several days. On the really tough ones, try a little heat from a portible propane torch if you can safely get to it. Also have used a sawsall when my patience was gone!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a couple like this on mine. I cleaned the area really well of all crud & grime and used PB Blaster. Tap the nut/bolt after each application several times to help the penitrate get in. On the stuborn ones, I'd do this several times a day and gently worked them a part. Sometimes took several days. On the really tough ones, try a little heat from a portible propane torch if you can safely get to it. Also have used a sawsall when my patience was gone!
Ill keep pb blasting the thing. Its in a spot that i cant see unfortunately.
I thought about bringing out the sawzall but my control is only so good.
Ill see how long this bolt and my patience lasts:)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ok, so its been a while but the bolt still wont let go.
I have taken out the sawzall and i think i may have the wrong type of blade for the job cause its turned smooth where its been sawing for close to 10 min of sawing. Is there a blade that works best?

ive been sawing right in this slot that seems to be holding it together

also, if i get this bolt cut. Ive removed the top bolts

but i think its still got a bolt thats holding it onto the bottom corner close to the door

heres a pic of a bolt that i think needs removing to get this fender off.
How is it connected, meaning where is the head of the bolt? And are there any others? The shop manual doesnt cover the fenders unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
A dremel tool with a cut off wheel works great. You can cut the head off in a few minutes. May take more then one wheel but they sell those in a package of a bunch. You will also have greater control with the dremel tool. It's one of the best all around tools I have !!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have a dremmel, I'll see if i have any cutting wheels...arent they slim discs, very brittle, kinda like sandpaper?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
invest in a cutoff tool, nice torquey die grinder that comes in handy and cut that thing off in about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
finally got it off, after placing a 9/16 wrench inside the fender and twisting off the bolt since i had already cut it partially.

I had tried a 1/2 wrench before and i thought that was the size it needed since it locked onto the bolt occasionally.

Now to start pulling off some chrome:)

·
Registered
788 Posts
One of my overall best tools is

the vice grips 7LW with v shaped jaw that will lock on and flat sided bolts. I have locked this on many a under fender nut that has turned through the spot welded clip. Also very handy for flare nuts.

The bottom bolt is of the same type as all of the inner fender nuts, spot welded to a clip. In order to get a wrench on it I often enlarge the hole on the fender side and get to te back with a vice grip as above. Oh, the sawsall will work real good if you can get the spacers out of the way with a hammer and chisel. Wham Wham!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts