Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
13,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked up some info on front fender louvers for a member who sent me a PM. Thought it was worth posting here, because there's frequently confusion about them.

Front fender louvers were a 1969 and 1970 item only. These fake vents were always body color. The louvers with chrome edges were standard equipment on the 1969 and '70 SS. Louvers did not appear on any other 69/70 Nova models unless 1 of 2 exterior décor options was ordered. With the Custom Exterior option, the body colored louvers got chrome edges, same as the SS. If the less expensive Exterior Décor option was ordered, the louvers had no chrome edges. If your Nova was any model other than an SS and you didn't order an optional décor package, there were no louvers.

Bob

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Looked up some info on front fender louvers for a member who sent me a PM. Thought it was worth posting here, because there's frequently confusion about them.

Front fender louvers were a 1969 and 1970 item only. These fake vents were always body color. The louvers with chrome edges were standard equipment on the 1969 and '70 SS. Louvers did not appear on any other 69/70 Nova models unless 1 of 2 exterior décor options was ordered. With the Custom Exterior option, the body colored louvers got chrome edges, same as the SS. If the less expensive Exterior Décor option was ordered, the louvers had no chrome edges. If your Nova was any model other than an SS and you didn't order an optional décor package, there were no louvers.

Bob
Great info Bob and just to add, they're also left and right specific from the factory, the aftermarket are not.

·
13,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info Bob and just to add, they're also left and right specific from the factory, the aftermarket are not.
Thanks for posting this, Paul. I wasn't aware of that.

Bob

·
13,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just looking at 1969 and 70's on eBay. There are 2 cars stated to be 1970 super sports that have no front fender louvers. Either they are both poorly done SS clones, or the fenders have been replaced. In addition, there is a '71 SS that incorrectly has louvers :rolleyes: .

Bob

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
493 Posts
Just looking at 1969 and 70's on eBay. There are 2 cars stated to be 1970 super sports that have no front fender louvers. Either they are both poorly done SS clones, or the fenders have been replaced. In addition, there is a '71 SS that incorrectly has louvers :rolleyes: .

Bob
I saw those also and doubted their originality. While we are on that subject, some of the 69-72 “SS” cars listed on ebay and CL are equipped with a 6-cyl fan shroud, manual brakes, and single-leaf rearend. Who do they think they are fooling???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts