Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 65 post with back half and a stock front end. I've got a big small block with nitrous for power. My question is, when I get up around 80 MPH the front end starts swaying left and right. A friend of mine told me this is how the stock front ends act and there's not much you can do. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix to stop the stock suspension from swaying short of replacing with a Chasisworks suspension?

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I've got a 65 post with back half and a stock front end. I've got a big small block with nitrous for power. My question is, when I get up around 80 MPH the front end starts swaying left and right. A friend of mine told me this is how the stock front ends act and there's not much you can do. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix to stop the stock suspension from swaying short of replacing with a Chasisworks suspension?
CBR upper and lower control arms and the right front end alignment.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Alignment, ball joints/the rest of the front end checked for bad parts, control arm bushings mayby, maybe the back half isn't squared up? Stock front ends can deffinately exceed 80 while going straiight. No need for 1000$ control arms. :no: altho the cbr stuff looks hella clean:D

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I think more like had been hinted at above. Up to 67 has a tendency to wickedly toe in if the suspension is at full travel. You need either to limit front end travel and try to align the car at a raised height as it would be going down track or buy some new parts like has also been mentioned to eliminate that issue.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Are you sure it's the front?

Occasionally my rear will start to sashay if I veer out of the grove. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it's becomes bad enough that I have to lift off the throttle.

·
Registered
813 Posts
front end

The toe will change when the front end lifts and is the problem you are encountering, needs to limit travel as sugested and aligned properly. I had a 66 ( 10.20 @132 MPH)with a stock front end and made my own solid bronze bushed lower control arms, and they made the biggest differece, also made a lockout plate kit like they sell now to hold the alignment as nobody made anything like that in the early 80s. With the parts they make today you should convert it and no more issues. I like the Church Boys stuff from what I have seen out there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you sure it's the front?

Occasionally my rear will start to sashay if I veer out of the grove. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it's becomes bad enough that I have to lift off the throttle.
I don't think it's doing that. Just curious....what would cause that anyway?

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I don't think it's doing that. Just curious....what would cause that anyway?
I have yet to figure that out. I was leaning towards it being a bad spot in the track till it happened at another track only not as bad.

I've checked all the usual suspects, tire pressure, rod ends, diagonal link, shocks and came up with nothing so far. I'm thinking that when it does happen, and that's not often, I may be getting a tad out of the groove even though I good at keeping in the groove. :confused:

I'll tell ya' one thing though.... It's a hell of a wake up when it does happen. :eek: It feels like you barely have any air in the rear tires, like the azz end is going to come around. I end up taking my foot out of it, aim and hope!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have yet to figure that out. I was leaning towards it being a bad spot in the track till it happened at another track only not as bad.

I've checked all the usual suspects, tire pressure, rod ends, diagonal link, shocks and came up with nothing so far. I'm thinking that when it does happen, and that's not often, I may be getting a tad out of the groove even though I good at keeping in the groove. :confused:

I'll tell ya' one thing though.... It's a hell of a wake up when it does happen. :eek: It feels like you barely have any air in the rear tires, like the azz end is going to come around. I end up taking my foot out of it, aim and hope!
Come to think of it, that did happen to me a couple of times but tire pressure ended up being my culprit.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Come to think of it, that did happen to me a couple of times but tire pressure ended up being my culprit.
Happened to me, it was my tire pressure too low and me over compensating.

·
Vendor
4,062 Posts
Because of the incorrect camber curve of the factory upper control arm as the front end rises the wheels lean in at the top (-camber) and the lower portion of the spindle/wheel and steering arm moves out, causing even more bump steer and tire scrub,this is why the suspension travel needs to be limited.

A set of upper control arms from us will correct the camber curve and allow more travel to be used in your set up.

On a side note do not align your drag car with the suspension elevated. Everything will be fine full throttle down the track until you need to hit the brakes, then the sudden suspension squat will send your car wondering abruptly . With a normal ride height alignment as you speed up and things begin to get dicey you have a warning and you tend to back out of the throttle, where as the other way around you can get a false sence on security.

Here is a look at our upper arms.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Because of the incorrect camber curve of the factory upper control arm as the front end rises the wheels lean in at the top (-camber) and the lower portion of the spindle/wheel and steering arm moves out, causing even more bump steer and tire scrub,this is why the suspension travel needs to be limited.

A set of upper control arms from us will correct the camber curve and allow more travel to be used in your set up.

On a side note do not align your drag car with the suspension elevated. Everything will be fine full throttle down the track until you need to hit the brakes, then the sudden suspension squat will send your car wondering abruptly . With a normal ride height alignment as you speed up and things begin to get dicey you have a warning and you tend to back out of the throttle, where as the other way around you can get a false sence on security.

Here is a look at our upper arms.
In your opinion, what would be some good shock recommendations to use with your control arms?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts