Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know offhand what the length of stock coil spring are for my 1970 nova with a SB 350 in it? like 9-12"?? i dunno... and if anyone wants to offer me advice on a good brand of springs that isn't going to make me break my piggybank i am all ears.
thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
the last pair i bought were moroso matched set for a 70 nova w/BB. i never used them still in the garage.lol which ones you buy depends on how you want your ride hight. i like the front to sit off the tires some like it low on the tire. years ago i replaced the springs on my 72 nova with moroso stock replacements and loved them. i bought the ones for a SB w/air and with a 14 inch tire the fender was about 2inches off the tire.. most the nova parts catalogs sell replacement springs..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i can get stock replacement springs in my GROUND UP magazine but it doesn't say if they are like 12" or 10" or whatever because i would like to get a little bit shorter than stock so the nose sits lower than the back end for a nice aggressive stance.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
hotckis 2" lowering springs work good, they are alot shorter then stock springs, but they are thicker..you also dont need a spring compessor to install them..i like em

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
my_novacane said:
anyone know offhand what the length of stock coil spring are for my 1970 nova with a SB 350 in it? like 9-12"?? i dunno... and if anyone wants to offer me advice on a good brand of springs that isn't going to make me break my piggybank i am all ears.
thanks.
I got my springs from pst.Very nice and alot cheaper then hotchkis.BM

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Ride quality is very good.Firm but soft when they need to be.Good quality...especially for the price!!!

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Thats a hard question to answer as GM used 27 different front springs in 1970 Nova's.
If you take a look at Nova Research he has a list of the spring tags and part numbers as well as a spring caculator.

The after market has reduced this to around 4 different sets. Moog, TRW and most of the OEM replacment companies use the same part numbers. '70 350 calls for Moog 6314, they should approximatlly be 10-3/4" in the car and 16-1/2" out of the car with a spring rate of about 288 lbs.

Here is a list of the after market spring p/n's and a Moog reference chart.
http://www.classiccarsprings.com/chevy/nova.html
http://www.pozziracing.com/Media/spring_chart.jpg

The 1st Gen Camaro uses the same front suspension as the 3rd Gen Nova. There is some good information on selecting springs here.
http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_spring_info.htm#SPRINGS

·
Registered
17 Posts
?shocks your using

hotckis 2" lowering springs work good, they are alot shorter then stock springs, but they are thicker..you also dont need a spring compessor to install them..i like em
Hi:
I picked up a set of used hotchkis 2 " lowering springs for my 69. I was wondering which shocks your using, did you need to buy custom shocks to allow for the decrease in compressed shock height. I know hotchkis has specific bilsteins for this application, but they are a little on the pricey side.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
From what i hear the best way to go with the hotchkis springs are the bilsteins that are valved for them, you can get those through hotchkis too, supposed to be soft while cruising and firm when throwing it around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts