Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have just bought a 1966 Chevy Nova SS and I am in the middle of mocking it up. I have a heidts front end and a Trans dapt deep sump oil pan on a SBC 327 and it is resting on the rack. I have tried a different oil pan but it didn’t work. I don’t have much room to play with under there. Has anyone else come accross this problem?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have just bought a 1966 Chevy Nova SS and I am in the middle of mocking it up. I have a heidts front end and a Trans dapt deep sump oil pan on a SBC 327 and it is resting on the rack. I have tried a different oil pan but it didn’t work. I don’t have much room to play with under there. Has anyone else come accross this problem?
how deep is the oil pan at the front?

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Pan Clearance

I would contact both Heidt's and Trans Dapt for suggestions.

But first I'd check out a few things, to gain information that the aftermarket vendors may ask about.

It is possible that you need different engine stands and or mounts.

If you put your Chevy II on jack stands and level the car as well as you can, you can then check your engine, driveshaft and pinion angles, which will likely show you where the trouble starts.

·
Registered
928 Posts
also if you have a power rack and steering there is supposed to be a large spacer between the rack and cross member.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Its hard to tell from the perspective of your pictures but it looks like your mounts are a little low in the frame. My mounts are flush with the top of the frame rail. Take a straight edge an run it across the mounts to see where they are in relation to the top of the frame rail. Heidts and TCI clips are pretty similar in construction so I believe that these reference points should be pretty close. Also, measure the distance from the mounts down to the cross member I’ll do the same and post up what I have.

What engine was in the car before or was this clip pulled from another car and installed on this one.? I’m not sure but your mounts might be moved a little bit back towards the firewall. Again, I can measure mine and post up what that dimension is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info! The only other problem I have is if I raise the mounts a bit I will run into clearance issues with the turbo 350. It’s tight in there as is and I’m afraid if I raise the motor I will hit the tranny on the body. It was snug!

·
Vendor
1,233 Posts
Check which motor mounts you have. There are the short and wide and the tall and narrow. The tall and narrow are 2 3/8” between the ears and are 2 3/16”tall. The short and wide are 2 5/8” between the ears and 1 3/4” tall. Short and wide are part #3.1114G and tall and narror are 3.1117G. Energy Suspension.
Tim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts