Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1977 Chevrolet nova
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I’m working on a restoration/restomod job for my fathers 1977 Chevrolet nova and I’ve really come to like the front end look of the 1970 Nova ss....... so my question is, would it be to much of a hassle/budget killer to chase the idea?? Take in mind we will already be doing frontend body repairs either way to move forward with the project. I would really like to make a strong impression for my first solo job with this idea

·
Registered
544 Posts
You know, I just don't know.
I can tell you what I've personally seen and what I've crossfitted between my '72, a buddy's '74, and an ex's '76.

The cowl panel, between the windshield and the hood....the '75-79 part will fit the '68-74 cars as far as bolting on and matching almost all body lines....the one place it is different is the little step body line coming off the hood back edge abour 6-8" from each back corner....it is off alignment with the step in the '68-74 style hood by about 1/4" or so....but every other curve and corner matches to the fenders, glass, and rear edge curve of the hood. Wiper shaft openngs too.

I've seen a '68-74 Hood bolted and latched to a '75-79 car even though it won't match the fender extensions or grill at all....but it fit the opening and latch, and matched the front fender clear up until you got to the plastic extensions over the headlights. Some local guys newspaper delivery winter beater where he didn't care what it loked like, just had a piece of machinery guard expanded metal for the grill.

I have no idea how you could get the '75-79 fenders to fit '68-72 style headlight rings, or '73-74 die cast extensions, since the '75-79 is so different right at that point....you may be able to just use and entire '68-74 front clip after some frame tip modification for bumper mounting......but I just don't know that for sure.
i've got no idea if the '68-74 front fenders will also bolt to the '75-79 core support without a problem.....it looks the same, but I've never tried it.

Doors i do believe are no different where they meet the front fenders

Another instance that supports a lot of interchangeablity....I had a '74 GTO hood, which is the '71-74 Pontiac Ventura hood but with the Trans Am shaker scoop hole in it....sold it to a guy who was building a Pro-touring style '76 "Phantom GTO" and it bolted right up to his '76 Ventura and fit everywhere body-line wise, even the front header nose panel..
He was going for a look as if the factory had kept building the Nova chassis GTO onward after the single 1974 year they did make. It came out really sharp...Pontiac dropped the ball there!!!.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would think the whole front clip would be the place to start. To be sure someone has tried it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My 2 cents: It isn't worth the hassle.

Front end conversions are already hard enough to look "right" on the later 3rd gen cars, but at least they share the same substructure. 4th gen sheet metal is totally different, and would take a LOT of work just for aesthetics. Plus, the curvy fenders, grill, eyebrows, etc. will look out of place compared to the rest of the boxier edges of the car.

4th gens look awesome in their own right, especially done well. "Conversions" cheapen the look of a car more than enhance it, more often than not.

Again... just my 2 cents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts