Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I started on this swap. Brakes off and need to drill out the spindles and steering arms out to 1/2 from 3/8 I believe. Anyone done this? What type of drill bit is needed because my junk bits aren't cutting it.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
before u even setup to do the job a machine shop can do it in no time, 5 bucks when I did mine. Unless you have a drill press, a good carbide bit with lots of cutting fluid.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No drill press, wasn't wanting to take spindles off.is it carbide drill bits or cobalt or titanium

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
They are 7/16 holes, so you will most likely need a power drill with a 1/2 drill chuck. You will need a 1/2 drill bit either Cobalt or Titanium would do the job. Also try an in between size 16/32 first before you go in with the 1/2 drill bit. It is very important to have a very sharp drill bit, cutting fluid, safety glasses and start with slow RPMs no need to hurry. Not a an easy metal to cut but you can do it. Stay safe and good luck. Keep us updated. .

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought a new cobalt 1/2 bit slow rpm not doing much. Was thinking of taking spindles off if not a pita.do I need to do anything with the spring to get spindles off.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess my next question is why did I not just use a longer 7/16 bolts to mount the caliper brackets. Anyone do that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Didn't use right stuff but never drilled out anything just milled the upper boss on the spindle and got the right thread bolt to replace with longer ones

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's my dilema. As you can see in the picture of the caliper mounting plate the two thru bolt hole are where the spindle and steering arm bolt. The plate holes are for 2/2 inch bolt and the arms and spindle holes are 7/16. Why they didn't make the plate 7/16 and if needed drill it to 1/2 for those arms and spindle I'll never know.? I got one side drilled out, 50 dollars in bits. Do you see a problem with just using 7/16 bolts on the other side with no drilling of the arms or spindles.there is a area where the back of the plate goes into the top of the spindle,the square In the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would not worry about using the 7/16 bolt in th 1/2 hole. If you think about it it's only 1/32 play on each side of the bolt and when they are tightened down they will probably never move after hitting the brakes rolling forward once. Just my opinion but I would run it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got 1 side drilled. That's what I was thinking also to call them. At this point I have no plans on drilling the other side. If I hadn't started this side probably wouldn't have drilled either.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If I remember correctly, they are in the brake pedal bracket. Seem the think I always pulled the whole bracket off, not fond of beating near the firewall. They are knurled like wheel studs.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got studs out,hammer and a small pipe and wiggled the studs and some small persuasion. I've got the kit from cbr. It's right stuff kit.do I need to use the proportioning valve. I assume so but want to make sure before plumbing new lines.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts