Chevy Nova Forum banner

front clip powered coating

859 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tnblkc230wz 
#1 · (Edited)
I am thinking of taking my 68 front clip and having it powdercoated semi-gloss black;to look close to original Most of the powder coating companies appear to use a product from tiger dry lac.anybody tried their semi-gloss black #39/80040. Is it a semi-gloss or more of a gloss black?any help or comments welcome.Chris

#3 ·
sub-frame..

Chris, if you can live with the it being a little glossy...get some SEM rustshield #3801 and add their gloss enhancer/hardner....the finish is like powder coat and it is bulletproof !!! They also have a flat black....haven't tried it yet...it might work better with the additive and give you the semi-gloss finish. I am currently experimenting with their stuff...first rate products. Just used their vinyl color coat on the 69 vinyl roof...exceptional :yes:

wilma

#4 ·
From my experiences with powder coating, there's a couple of things to be aware of.
1. When it chips, there's not really a way to fix it, where if it's paint, it's a fairly easy fix
2. It's quite thick, so if you have things that mate together, or tight clearances, you often have to do some grinding or take the powder coat off the mating surfaces to get things to fit correctly. Jasco Paint Remover works great for taking powder coat off areas where you don't want it.

It's got it's plus's and minus's as but I've gone back to paint and gotten better results.

#5 ·
My powder coater has a color called Chasis Black. I had anything I could unbolt done with it and it is great. Frame, heater box, inner fenders, core support, frame, battery tray, even had the insides of my fenders and doors done. Tough as nails and no more rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.