Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have read all the header posts and am a bit confused. I thought an aftermarket clip like Heidts would give me more room for traditional, not fenderwell header. I read a post that is just the opposite. Help please.

My front end needs help. But I also want to run a full set of 1-3/4" super comps or the like with a 434 Dart aftermarket block and AFR heads. I currently have drum brakes, shot ball joints, loose tie rods, pitman arm etc. and who knows about the shocks and springs. Wouldn't a new front clip solve alot of problems? But what about the headers?

The goal is a strip car that I can drive on the street on occasion.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
It really depends on what you want to spend. You could just rebuild the front end and use the CPP mini frame kit and convert to a rack and pinion.
Add some front discs and your off. Installing a new front clip like Heidts or Chassisworks will give your more room for changing plugs and gives you options on headers. Chassisworks makes headers for their clips.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Heidts front clip with Hooker 2243 and they fit good. If you get an aftermarket clip i would recommend the coil over version for racing.
Do you have drop spindles? Does this change the fit at all? What brakes are you using? Did you get them with the kit? Did you buy your clip directly from Heidts or through a dealer? Of course, all of this stuff may have come with the car when you bought it?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Call smith race craft out of texas. I have a mustang II from company X in the 62 and I hate it. The coil over is a better set up then the mustang II but still fall way short of the Camaro strut front end from smith.

The cost in the end is also the same and the smith is far better if your asking someone who has used both.

The only way I could get the mustang II stuff to work is longer lower control arms, opening up the slots on the driver side upper mount for the control arm, used a 79 mustang tire rod end on the Driver side and the standand one on the passanger side. Shocks don't even ask but I do have the correct part number now.

All this just to get the caster and camber right and keep the ball joint off the frame when the car moved up in the front end.

It was so much fun...

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
OK, I have read all the header posts and am a bit confused. I thought an aftermarket clip like Heidts would give me more room for traditional, not fenderwell header. I read a post that is just the opposite. Help please.

My front end needs help. But I also want to run a full set of 1-3/4" super comps or the like with a 434 Dart aftermarket block and AFR heads. I currently have drum brakes, shot ball joints, loose tie rods, pitman arm etc. and who knows about the shocks and springs. Wouldn't a new front clip solve alot of problems? But what about the headers?

The goal is a strip car that I can drive on the street on occasion.
There are many great front clips available for the first gen Novas. I installed a Big Block in mine and decided to go with the Chassisworks. What mostly made my decision was that Chassisworks started from the ground up and designed a front clip for their own (first gen Nova) race car. People say they are more expensive and they are. But if you take the difference of cost say $1,500 more for the CW over the length of ownership, for example you plan on keeping the car for a minimum of 5 years, that $1,500. amounts to $0.83 cents a day over a 5 year period. People prolly spend more a day on chips, soda, cigaretts and whatever else one might spend on a daily basis without even thinking about it. Chris Alston company is a race car builder. The benefits of there step by step instructions which also show you how to align the front end before it hits the ground etc., etc., and many other benefits were worth the extra cost in my opinion. Again this is just my opinion and experience. Also the fact that they designed the headers to fit their clip was a no brainer. For me, and stuffing a Big Block in one of these cars, it was important to me to have a clip that was designed exactly for what I was doing cuz I'm tellin ya, a BBC in one of these cars is really tight! I realize you are probably putting a small block in but I'm just sharing what my concerns were. Here are a couple of photos when I was putting it all back together. By the way, after having the clip now for two years I can tell you that I am extremely happy with my choice!:yes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is one tough set up! I do plan to run a small block, but out of curiousity, did you have to relocate the firewall for the big block? What other modifications need to be done for a big block? My engine choice is nowhere set in stone, I just always thought a big block would never fit in the Nova. Tell me more.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Do you have drop spindles? Does this change the fit at all? What brakes are you using? Did you get them with the kit? Did you buy your clip directly from Heidts or through a dealer? Of course, all of this stuff may have come with the car when you bought it?
I bought the car this way, the front end is all stock mustang II stuff, granada disk brakes and comp shocks. Just depends on how much you want to spend. I will say that if i had the money i would definitely get the Chris Alston kit.

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
That is one tough set up! I do plan to run a small block, but out of curiousity, did you have to relocate the firewall for the big block? What other modifications need to be done for a big block? My engine choice is nowhere set in stone, I just always thought a big block would never fit in the Nova. Tell me more.
No, I didnt have to relocate the firewall but I did have to modify it. The windshield wiper motor section I cut out. I only needed to modify a portion of it because it was going to hit the valve cover, but because I wasnt going to use the wiper motor anyway I cut it all out and made it flat. Here are some shots of that process.

I welded an extra steel plate where the heater blower mounts and another steel plate for reinforcement to the Master Cylinder mounting boss.

Here is a look at the rough primered area just before preparation of final sanding and primer of the whole area and then final paint.

The engine is real close to the firewall but fits fine. This was another reason I leaned toward the CW. At the time, I didnt know of anyone with a Big Block that could answer my question about installing that engine with any of the other kits. There were guys on this site like "Seattle Mike" that helped me a lot. The guys at Chassisworks also helped answer all my concerns, why? Because they went through it themselves to design and build a front clip for the first gen cars. The 128 page removal of old front clip and installation of the new CW front clip manual was awesome! No one else had anything that comprehensive as far as instructions for people never doing an installation such as this. That was invaluable to me! All the tips and "Do's and Don'ts" so that you get it together right the first time was just what I was looking for. You pay more for it but for me, totally worth it. The quality of their kit is well known! If I can help you answer any other questions let me know. -Al

·
Registered
45 Posts
That is an awesome set up. I wish I had read this post earlier. I have already purchased a TCI front clip and I am in the process of installing it. Do anyone have any tips on the TCI clips? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Clips

All of these clips are very close in design i think the diffreance is the way the inner fenders and hood hidge mount ...that were the CW kit seem to be better. I have a TCI and it is a very accepable package, if i had to do it again i would look a little harder at the CW or maybe just buy their hood hindge brackets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts