Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally have the cash for just the frame portion of this project. I have saved up several different times for a entire front end kit, but life has always popped up and I needed to sacrifice my clip fund for Kids education or Sports dues or vacation. I finally decided to do this in stages. first off im having a hard time just deciding which front clip to even go with. Im content with a basic mustang coil spring setup but I can't decide if I need the narrow frame version like the TCI type front frame designs or something more tradition like a standard Heidts type frame design. I know the wheel setback is kinda necessary but is the narrow frame necessary for a 15x7 or 15x8 front wheel. My plan for the car is a big block street machine that can handle the curves a little bit. I have already backhalved the car with my version of a Hot Rods to hell rear truck arm setup with minitubs and a narrowed 9 inch ford rear with 295/50/15 on American racing Hopsters. I might eventually change rims to 17' or 18" but for now 15" rims are going to suffice. So back to the front clip dilemma. Im thinking I could get away with the standard width frame like Heidts offers even if I run a 17" rims. Now can anyone say if the Lakeshore front frame at $500 is that inferior to the $800 Heidts clip? I see other frame clips on eBay from unknown manufactures that look the part but im really afraid to pull the trigger on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks....Cliff

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
So I finally have the cash for just the frame portion of this project. I have saved up several different times for a entire front end kit, but life has always popped up and I needed to sacrifice my clip fund for Kids education or Sports dues or vacation. I finally decided to do this in stages. first off im having a hard time just deciding which front clip to even go with. Im content with a basic mustang coil spring setup but I can't decide if I need the narrow frame version like the TCI type front frame designs or something more tradition like a standard Heidts type frame design. I know the wheel setback is kinda necessary but is the narrow frame necessary for a 15x7 or 15x8 front wheel. My plan for the car is a big block street machine that can handle the curves a little bit. I have already backhalved the car with my version of a Hot Rods to hell rear truck arm setup with minitubs and a narrowed 9 inch ford rear with 295/50/15 on American racing Hopsters. I might eventually change rims to 17' or 18" but for now 15" rims are going to suffice. So back to the front clip dilemma. Im thinking I could get away with the standard width frame like Heidts offers even if I run a 17" rims. Now can anyone say if the Lakeshore front frame at $500 is that inferior to the $800 Heidts clip? I see other frame clips on eBay from unknown manufactures that look the part but im really afraid to pull the trigger on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks....Cliff
TCI will not sell just the subframe bare. They only sell the complete unit. Heidts sells just a crossmember kit with upper hats ($423) to use your stock rails or a complete bare front subframe clip. I can sell you one for $742 plus shipping. You are probably limited to 7" wide wheels since it does not have the narrowed frame rails like the TCI unit does. Whatever you do, stay away from Helix.
Tim

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,903 Posts
TCI will not sell just the subframe bare. They only sell the complete unit. Heidts sells just a crossmember kit with upper hats ($423) to use your stock rails or a complete bare front subframe clip. I can sell you one for $742 plus shipping. You are probably limited to 7" wide wheels since it does not have the narrowed frame rails like the TCI unit does. Whatever you do, stay away from Helix.
Tim
Tim probably knows more about the totality of clips available than anyone else on this site or anywhere else.:yes::yes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim
Thanks for the info. Im really kicking around the idea to get a Paul Hortons Welder Series crossmember kit and some 2x3 Box tube and make my own TCI clip. What I like about that route is I can put my front wheels exactly where I want them. I could do this for less then $300 for the frame portion of it, and that's down tubes with heim joints. Just alot of work measuring and ciphering. Or save myself alot of time and headache im sure and just get a bare Heidts frame clip. Just cant decide if I really need the narrowed frame option. I can see going with 17", possible 18", wheels. Do I need 8" wide rims if I do that.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
This is an older TCI MII clip shown with 15x7 rally wheels 215/60/15 tires.
It comes down to how much tire you want to run up front. I've mocked it up with 17 & 18x8 wheels with 235/45/17",18" wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is an older TCI MII clip shown with 15x7 rally wheels 215/60/15 tires.
It comes down to how much tire you want to run up front. I've mocked it up with 17 & 18x8 wheels with 235/45/17",18" wheels.
Thug,
Thanks for those pics. PM sent.

·
Registered
175 Posts
For the money you cannot beat the checkeed racing setup. i have it on my car with 2" drop and qa1. that being said, it is a diy kit. i have bought heidts inner fenders and adjustable down tubes. if i had it to over again i would buy the heidts, bolt on and go. but if you like the work and customization ability you cant beat the checkered.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you’ll be very happy with the Checkered Racing front clip. Only mod I did was swap out the QA1 #550 springs for Ridetech #450’s....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts