Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I should know this, but I simply can't remember....

In order to install the metal & plastic front bumper-to-grill filler panels, must the front fender liners be installed first? I know that everything sandwiches together and bolts to the cage nuts that are installed onto the flanges of the core support, but I'd like to install the bumper/filler panels and grill items now....because I'm looking for problems (like those bumpers with the weird angle on the ends that don't align with the eyebrow moldings if you know what I mean. If our bumper doesn't align with that angle, it's headed to the swap meet in the Spring!! (the bumper, not the car! :D )

Attachments

·
6,591 Posts
On my 68, I had to bend just the one ear out of the way to get the metal panel out and then once back in place, bent it back flat:

I also had to get into some of the holes with a burr bit in a die grinder or drill to elongate them to get things to line up. I think this is why the original panel cracked (or it may have been due to age or something else.

So far after almost 4 years I have not had any cracks in the new plastic filler.

Below is the album of the work I did replacing the filler on my 68:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157649646999993

Jim

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Another tip to keep the plastic from cracking is to leave the small hardware along the back edge loose, or not install them at all! That way any front end flex from driving won't crack that piece.....

·
Registered
20,119 Posts
Pull the bumper and grill, loosen and spread both fenders with the hood on. I changed mine about 3 years back when I got my car.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Did you guys paint the filler or just leave it natural as it comes in the box?
I painted my filler panel an argent silver color.

Pull the bumper and grill, loosen and spread both fenders with the hood on. I changed mine about 3 years back when I got my car.
That's how I installed mine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I painted my filler panel an argent silver color
Thanks.
After I posed the question I did some poking around and found a couple of threads on the subject. Now I just have to find the paint. It appears to be the same silver used on rallye wheels.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
i needed some argent silver last year an not one auto parts store had the correct color. but i did order a spray can from eastwood, that was a perfect match. a little pricey though 21.00 with shipping.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the Argent Silver from Eastwood is a very good match - they are 10 minutes away, so the shipping is reasonable! :D

Also, I've used Krylon #1403 - Dull Aluminum as well, that is also a very good match. It's much cheaper, and available everywhere....

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Hey all:

I wanted to ask a follow up question on this topic. I've done some searching on this site, but this seems to be the most recent post.

I recently bought this part, as I need to replace the cracked filler on my '69 Nova. I bought the Goodmark panel, part GMK4012020681. I have some paint that is close to Argent Silver that I will use to paint it. I'm wondering if I should have read these threads before purchasing.

I did see Custom Jim's post about his experience. Thanks for that! Here are a couple of questions:

1.) Anyone ever buy the Goodmark panel and if so, how was the fit? I see the GM version, one from AMD, one that is supposed to be OER, etc. What have people purchased that fit great and what have you had trouble with?

2.) Is this a job I can do in a couple of hours, or is it the type of thing that will cause me fits most of the day? Can I really remove the bumper, grill, loosen the fenders, and expect the rest to go somewhat smooth?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,930 Posts

·
6,591 Posts
Hey all:

I wanted to ask a follow up question on this topic. I've done some searching on this site, but this seems to be the most recent post.

I recently bought this part, as I need to replace the cracked filler on my '69 Nova. I bought the Goodmark panel, part GMK4012020681. I have some paint that is close to Argent Silver that I will use to paint it. I'm wondering if I should have read these threads before purchasing.

I did see Custom Jim's post about his experience. Thanks for that! Here are a couple of questions:

1.) Anyone ever buy the Goodmark panel and if so, how was the fit? I see the GM version, one from AMD, one that is supposed to be OER, etc. What have people purchased that fit great and what have you had trouble with?

2.) Is this a job I can do in a couple of hours, or is it the type of thing that will cause me fits most of the day? Can I really remove the bumper, grill, loosen the fenders, and expect the rest to go somewhat smooth?

Thanks in advance!
If you look at the dates I took the photo's on different stages in the album, it took me a few days BUT not all of this work was just to swap out the filler. I spent time cleaning the nuts and bolts, reinforcing rods, cleaning the bumper turn signal housings, and other things thinking I might as well since I was in there.
Keep in mind too that all of the nuts and bolts on mine came off without issues. If you have bolts that are rusted tight, clips or bolts that break or are not there and need to be replaced, then this can affect the time of how long things take.

I can only comment on the OER one I bought and I am happy with it. Yes I had to elongate some through holes but after a few years it's holding up just fine.

Jim

·
Registered
521 Posts
GO HERE --- read this :

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661661

I think this is what I'm doing --- cut "the outer TABS - off.
Thanks for sharing my thread. To clarify, I cut off just one end (the driver's side) of both the plastic filler panel and metal support. This allows me to remove and reinstall the filler panel without disturbing the fenders. The tab that isn't cut gets angled in first, then the cut end can just be set back into place.

Here is where I marked to cut:

Here is what it looks like cut.

Here is what the car looks like with the bumper, grill, and filler panel removed.

The steps to get to this point are as follows:
  1. Disconnect the bumper running lights / turn signals. The connection is inside of the engine bay at the front of the inner fender. You may have to remove the battery to get to the passenger side
  2. Remove the bumper by detaching the four main mounting bolts/nuts at the frame rails. The nuts are inside the frame rails but you can reach them with an open-end wrench. Use care when removing to make sure you support the bumper well and move it in a forward ,rather than down motion. The bolts may need penetrant at the threads where the nuts are if you haven't removed them for a long time.
  3. Remove the headlight bezels. They are held by 4 philpshead screws.
  4. Remove all the bolts that run through the filler panel into the inner fenders. They are three per side unless you've cut yours like I did. At this point you will also want to swing the lower fender support rods out of the way.
  5. Remove the hood lower hood latch assembly.
  6. Remove the four bolts holding the grill to the radiator support. There are two per side located on either side of the radiator. They install from the engine bay. At this point the whole grill is supported by one bolt at the bottom front of the core support, so support it with your hands
  7. Remove the final one bolt from the bottom front of the core support. This will free the entire grill and filler panel assembly for removal. If you trimmed the end of the filler panel like show above, the whole assembly can easily be removed. If not, you will need to loosen the fender(s) and spread them apart at the bottom to get the assembly out. I would suggest detaching the inner fender of one side (all bolts attaching it to the fender) and the two bolts that attach the front of the fender to the core support.

Once you have the whole grill and filler panel assembly out of the car, you will see a series of screws along the bottom of the grill that the filler panel attaches with. Take those out and you'll have the filler panel free for replacement.

I went for an original color look using Rustoleum metallic titanium silver for mine in this latest round and here's what I ended up with:

Twenty years prior, I painted the filler panel body color, which is also a good option. I think body color filler panels work better for lighter colors, but it's a matter of preference.

Whatever paint you choose, make sure it will adhere to plastic and be sure to scuff the plastic with some 220 grit or similar so it will adhere. The reason I repainted mine recently is because whatever primer I used back in 1999 caused the paint to peel off over time.

See my thread linked above for lots more photos and additional info on painting. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your car looks great with those bumper guards, really sets off the vinyl top and exterior decor package...

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for the responses, additional pictures, and steps/advice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dammmmmit. Uuuhhhhhhhhhhggghhh. Some minor minor surface rust on the support brackets. No biggie but now need to sand and rattle can the filler panel metal backing plate and grill brackets. Might as well do it right.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts