Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my front antenna because the mount is not holding very well. I've looked for pictures of antenna installs, and I've not seen anything like what I've got. It's basically two pivoting arms at the base that grip the underside of the fender and then a rubber half-moon grommet and metal washer slide on, followed by the nut. The replacement ones I've seen appear to mount differently. Can anyone recommend a proper replacement?

Has anyone installed the RetroSound antenna?
http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/207

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
radio antenna

Try classic industries or chevy 2only you 've got choices here Although the attaching hardware may look different they should be ok

·
6,523 Posts
When I installed aftermarket antenna's back in the 70's and 80's there were two swiveling ears that were attached to the center on peened over pins. These rotated to where on the hole on the fender the antenna cable was dropped through the hole and then the ears rotated to allow them to go under the fender and then would go back to a horizontal position. You then had to pull up on the antenna to center it on the hole and then drop down the rest of the hardware that was on top of the fender to secure it into place.

On these antenna's to have the antenna mast straight up and down and not angling out to the left or right I had to orientate the ears under the fender to where when the rubber washer, the hard plastic dome, and the chrome dome cover was put on and the nut tightened, both ears under the fender dug in evenly and the mast was square and plumb on the fender or quarter panel. Sometimes I could orientate it to where it was slightly angled back but the limit was the hole slot on the hard plastic dome.

Jim

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I installed aftermarket antenna's back in the 70's and 80's there were two swiveling ears that were attached to the center on peened over pins. These rotated to where on the hole on the fender the antenna cable was dropped through the hole and then the ears rotated to allow them to go under the fender and then would go back to a horizontal position. You then had to pull up on the antenna to center it on the hole and then drop down the rest of the hardware that was on top of the fender to secure it into place.

On these antenna's to have the antenna mast straight up and down and not angling out to the left or right I had to orientate the ears under the fender to where when the rubber washer, the hard plastic dome, and the chrome dome cover was put on and the nut tightened, both ears under the fender dug in evenly and the mast was square and plumb on the fender or quarter panel. Sometimes I could orientate it to where it was slightly angled back but the limit was the hole slot on the hard plastic dome.

Jim
This is the exact type of antenna that I'm working with currently. When I go to tighten it down while holding the antenna straight, it wants to angle the antenna as its tightening. I can't for the life of me get it to stay straight. This is the reason I've considered replacing it.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I ENDED UP LEAVING MINE IN PLACE, IT WAS A B**** TO PULL OUT. :mad:
SO I REPLACED THE SCREW IN STEM FOR IT! :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts