Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo, here is my situation. Maybe it’s a problem, maybe not. But I need some opinions since Im starting to plan some things out and have some questions about my path.

I put a CPP front end on and upgraded the brakes to the Wilwoods with drilled and slotted rotors that are 11-3/4. The calipers are their D154 2 piston calipers. Basic as it is, an obvious upgrade to the stock drums.

I am now planning out my rear end. It will be a 12 bolt also with Wilwood discs. My dilemma is that the only rear rotors for the set up I plan to run are 12.19” (bigger than the front) and 4 piston calipers (better stopping power than the front). So my stopping power would be in the back. I would think a proportioning valve would be able to dial this in but am I wrong to feel weird about running this set up?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Diameter and surface area aren't the same. Your stopping power will be greater in the front and yes you need a proportion Valve.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stupid me, I didnt think to compare brake pad and caliper piston areas from front to rear. Like @SoCalNova said, more to it than just rotor size and number of pistons. It is getting a proportioning valve either way.

Next question: is anyone running a booster? Pros and cons?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm installing wildwood master with 4 wheel discs and I plan not to run a brake booster. I don't thinks it's necessary.
Well tell US why a boaster is not needed.
will it still have the same stopping power with out the power brake system?
will he need a specific master cylinder for that affect for his car maybe some specs?
Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, 67 Chevy II, 65 C10
1,025 Posts
I used hydro boost. Didn't like the feel of manual brakes

Reactions: Hammer Head

·
Registered
165 Posts
will he need a specific master cylinder for that affect for his car maybe some specs?
Thanks for any info you can provide.
It's a 7/8 Wildwood. + Proportion Valve
Nothing fancy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Stopping power isn't predicted by the size of your booster. It only assists in moving the ram in the cylinder. All road race cars are manual brakes, but they're tuned very well and have a 6:1 pedal ratio, which we don't have stock. Where the difference is felt, and when I finish installing it I'll let you know, is that when the booster is removed you have direct feel for the brake and you learn exactly when and how the car is going to stop every time. A booster has some smoosh in it and IMO leaves a lot of the consistent feeling out if the brakes.

I don't think a booster really does that much for a weekend cruiser and a Saturday night bruiser.

If it was an 8,000 lb truck? Yep. No way I'd go manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts